Broken ulna, radius and radial head

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 5 weeks ago I broke my ulna, radius, shattered my radial head, also dislocated the elbow. I had surgery in which I had to get a radial head replacement, a plate over top of my elbow to about 6 inches down my ulna and radius bone. I'm not sure how many screws I have in there. I've done 3 days of therapy and they are concerned that the plate over top of the elbow is going to be a problem for flexion. I can't push past a 90 degree angle and it's excruciating pain. It feels like the plate or my bones is going to snap. Has anyone had anything similar happen? If so what did they do for you?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah,   Wow after 5 weeks I had no flexion at all. I fell in April & dislocated my elbow & had a new radial joint & all kinds of metal work in my arm. I was still in plaster then had about another 8 weeks in a brace so I'm surprised you are allowed to start moving your elbow. 

How are you coping with the pain? 

• Posted

Well basically I started out at 90 degrees and haven't made progress from that. I broke my arm Aug 10. Went to the ER. They reset my bones bc they were dislocated and almost thru my skin (ulna and radius) right at the elbow. There was really nothing left of my radial head. They couldn't do surgery until the swelling went down. They gave me oxycodone 5/325 to take every 4 hours. I had a 4 hour surgery Aug 16. They replaced my radial head and put a plate in to hold it all together just over my elbow.. they put a soft cast on and gave me a nerve block and gave me oxycodone 5/325 (which I thought was crazy). The pain was excruciating. saw my surgeon Aug 24 and they removed my soft cast and told me to try to move my arm up and down 3x a day 100x a piece as well as twisting my wrist. I couldn't do much bc it was so swollen. They gave me a brace that locked my arm in a 90 degree angle and measured how much I could move it. I went back to my surgeon 2 weeks later and he wasn't pleased with how stiff I was like I should've been able to do more. I got the green light to do light therapy but my therapist seems to be concerned with the plate over my elbow saying that's going to be really hard to get flexion. I see my surgeon again Oct 5. I'm concerned this plate is either going to rip thru my skin or something will break bc that's what it feels like

• Posted

Oh and now just taking Motrin 800mg every 8 hours
    • Posted

I sent to theER because I thought my plates and screws were pulling out of my elbow. Had x-ray and they weren't! I had an infection in my elbow instead sad. I started physio at 2 weeks post and was doing less ROM by almost 4 weeks because of inflammation from infection. How are you doing now Hannah?

Nancy

• Posted

Oh Hannah, I am so sorry! I had a similar experience shattering my elbow and having a Radial head replacement along with many plates and screws. I shattered mine in January and again in February and then again in March. I am shocked that your surgeon has started you on PT already. My surgeon would not let me go near a Physical Therapist for 6 weeks after my surgeries, and even then he was very conservative in what he would let me do. Is there any way you can get a second opinion before he really damages your elbow. I am also in total shock that 800mg Motrin is helping your pain, I am still taking opiates for the amount of pain I'm dealing with. I now have really good range of motion, but extreme pain. I can move my arm really well, but it hurts constantly, and forget holding anything in my hand. This is the most excrutiating pain I have felt in my 42 years. I really hope you can get some better answers. I do think you should get a second opinion, your surgeon sounds... interesting. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.