broken wrist

Posted , 4 users are following.

June 22nd I had a motorcycle accident resulting in a broken wrist distal radius I didn't need surgery but had closed reduction extremely scary and painful. I had on a splint then two different casts. My cast came off a few days ago and I am wondering how long before I can move my wrist completely and also I am having problems with my elbow and shoulder I cannot bend my elbow all the way has anybody else had this problem and what did they do to help it? I am going to pt 2 times a week but it is frustrating when the therapist and others don't understand how much pain even my elbow is in. I am hoping some people will give me some good suggestions to help me through this I have not driven in two months I've been out of work for 2 months and I want to go back and I want to be better.

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I to have broken my wrist after a motorbike accident, so comfort you with knowing that someone does understand the pain your elbow and shoulder cause. I thought the reason for mine was that after coming off my bike at 60mph, Luton Hospial A&E did not even xray me.

I can only recommend what the CEO at Luton told me when I complained -  I should have gone to another hospital to be checked over. So is it possible that you could see your GP and have them check you over and give advice?

Hope this is of some help.

• Posted

Hi

I can't advise you as my distal radius fracture isn't the same as you have described but I just wanted to give a bit of support as I can understand your frustration and ask a couple of questions. Did you have fractures in more than 1 place? You had the plaster on for a long time. When you had the plaster on, did you have any movement of your fingers/thumb/wrist? Were you given exercises to do with the plaster still on?

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I have to check my records as to what the exact break was, i remember being told it was a ""clean break" but then someone else said the bones were shattered i think,,,but they did the closed reduction and apparently the break healed fairly quickly. I had on between the splint and full arm cast then below elboww cast on for aboout little less than a month and a half. It took me about 3-4 weeks to be able toeven use my fingers while in cast. They were in a closeed postion. I did exercises while in cast for the fingers and towards thhe end of cast on was encourageed to try and open doors etc which i started doing about a week ago.
    • Posted

Mine was defined by the doctor as "minimal displacement" and there was only 1 break. I asked about your movement when in plaster because I could move my fingers from the beginning. Slight discomfort when I moved my bruised thumb but that has gone now. My elbow wasn't affected. I am not lifting (other than small things like a mug/plate) but can do other exercises with the arm/hand to keep it moving.
  • Posted

thank u for responding. im sorry to hear about your accident we were only going i think about 20mph but enough to do damage. The ER did xrays and diagnosed me wrongly then went to orthopedic  and she did xrays it was just the distal radius. I have been told it is my fauly because when i had cast on i should have been exercising my shoulders which noone told me and the cast covered the elbow for over a month. They thought i may hvae that rare syndrome of being more susceptible to pain but as of now they ruled that out and are saying it is all me not using the arm. 
    • Posted

You may want to search for some of the best orthopedics in your area or country. If your entire arm is in pain you dont want to risk it. They will take an xray or CT scan if they think theres a problem. It would be piece of mind for you too. At the very least get a second opinion.
    • Posted

Thank you for responding. I may try and give it little more time before deciding a 2nd opinion. I think everyone is right and it may be just becz i hadnt used the arm for about month and half. Its not the whole arm in pain its just mainly right now the elbow as i am exercising it and trying to get it straight and also bend it. Tomorrow i go back to PT and the therapist is definitely hurting me but working me which i do beliieve i need. This is 1st time i ever broke aanything and i just dont think im used to pain...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.