Broken wrist - in a temporary cast

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI guys, I broke my distal radius and possibly damaged my scaphoid a bit two days ago. Since it has been put in a temporary back slab for a week and it will be re-xrayed on monday to see if it has slipped and will need surgery. I am desperate to get this healed asap because i have a holiday coming up. How can i prevent it slipping? and does anyone know how long it will need to be in a cast etc? Thanks,

Tom.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom

I broke mine, but had it operated on there and then. My Son did the same a couple of years before, but he had the same as you. Unfortunately, despite keeping it immobile, it slipped and he had to have it operated on a week later. I don't think there's anything you can do, it's down to pot luck. How long until you're due to go away?

Rich

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Rich, I am due to leave on the 1st of August so I think it'll be cutting it quite fine - I've heard the normal time in a cast is 6 weeks?

Tom

• Posted

It depends what they do Tom. I'm guessing they'll 'K' wire it, where they hold the bone in place with wires which go through the skin (not as horrific as it sounds!). From what I recall, I think it is about 4 to 6 weeks. If they plate it together, which is what I had, it was only 2 weeks in a cast. Have a word with them when you go, I'm sure they'll figure something out so you can go on holiday. Anyway, fingers crossed that it'll all be ok and the bones haven't slipped!
  • Posted

Hi Tom

I broke my distal radius 6 weeks ago today and  was operated on the following Sat to manipulate it and just this morning I had my cast off. It is very swollen and feels numb so is going to need a lot of physio!!!! I know how you must be feeling as I was really upset as I am a golfer and after the Winter we had in the Lakes I was so looking forward to Summer but now think I will be lucky if I golf again this year. Hope I am proved  wrong but thats how I am feeling at the moment. Dont think it will slip and hope you dont have to be operated on so good luck and just ask them all your questions.

Take good care.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy

Glad to hear it's finally off! I will know on monday if it needs to be operated as they said 85% of slips occur in first week, so fingers crossed. I would be going on holiday very soon after the cast is off so physio would be difficult.

Good luck with the golf smile

Tom.

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I have just come across this site. I am 5 and a half weeks post fracture with plate and 6 screws. Plaster removed 2 weeks ago for early mobilisation. Thing is it's not mobile at all!! I try so hard to attempt the physio on the pamphlet they give you but movement is only about 5% if that. Stuck solid! Like a tree stump. Doesn't feel like my arm at all. So down and depressed and so fed up.

Have you any more movement now? I go to physio for the first time in Friday so maybe they might tell me I'm at the stage I should be but feel I will never get any movement back at all. How are you now ? - thanks Vicky

• Posted

Hi Vicky

Bless You  I do understand how you must be feeling. I had no plate or screws but was operated on to re-align my wrist etc etc.  I was in cast for 5 weeks and have struggled with wrist and fingers.  My wrist after 3 weeks is starting to come round but fingers are still stuck and very painful. Just start physio and ask questions but don't get down like I did as it pulls you down. It will come back but like me I think we might be  in it for the long haul, patience is not my middle name but I am learningbiggrin

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi,I broke my left ulna, radius and scaphoid 8 weeks ago and had pins and plates and a cast for 4 weeks. My arm was very stiff and was very disheartened at first but I am getting movement back slowly as well as it getting stronger. Still stiff and some movements still not right, I cannot type properly with it, but I have felt better as I have started to be able to d more with it. Still can't bend enough to do the prayer exercise properly but it is better than it was. Hope that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.