broken wrist treated at bristol royal infirmary yesterday, splinted and supported. today fingers a

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my wrist 38 hours ago. It was set and splinted at the Bristol Royal Infirmary. Today the fingers on this hand are swollen and blue. is this ok?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's fairly normal for this to happen after fracturing your wrist, but does need to be comfortable. Can you bend your fingers? Can you feel your fingers? Are they numb ? Are they cold? Is the plaster/splint tight? If so you need to contact the plaster room and they will probably ask you to come in to have it rechecked. If you need to you can go back to A&E to get it checked.

You should have had some information given to you re splint but if not you can ice over the splint with a towel covering it to help reduce the swelling. Also needs elevation so lots of pillows to get your wrist higher than your heart. Hope this helps and the swelling and bruising recedes soon. I still am suffering 7 months down the line

• Posted

Cold fingers with pins and needles should be checked out. It maybe nothing/normal but my tight cast caused me to develop CRPS so better safe than sorry. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

Blue fingers does not sound good.  I would get it checked out.  Good Luck.  I am just recovering from a broken wrist although mine did not have to be set.  I was told not to wear nail varnish as you need to be able to see if the nails turn blue due to circulatory problems.  Better safe than sorry.

• Posted

I think Joanie has a good point. Blue finger means blood flow is not normal. See you ER. 

Keep posting 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.