broken wrists

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all my son fell out of a tree 2 weeks ago and broken both wrist his only 10 he had to yo have surgery but no pins or anything .. He has been in cast 2 weeks on Sunday the problem is we are going oj holiday on the 16th July and called my hotel up a d they even allow him in the water even with waterproof cast procter,  I have ask my consultant if he would but him into splints so we can still go on holiday he said he can't let me know until his next appointment on the 11th of July 5 days b4 we fly what are all your thoughts he would have been in cast 4.5 weeks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't understand your question. Sorry but I'm "old school" and can't quite understand where sentences begin and end without punctuation. 

You said the hotel allows him in the pool with a waterproof cover so that's what I would recommend. There's a brand called Seal Tight that makes those here in the US. I use them to cover a third degree burn and can still do my physical therapy in the pool.

if you're asking about taking the cast off early so he can go swimming without it, I don't think that's a good idea. My little brother broke his wrist in an accident when he was 10 and the doctors were very strict about his cast and protecting it because there are so many small bones in there that he could have had pain the rest of his life if they didn't heal properly. I would let the doctor help you make the right decision.

I'm not sure I answered your question but I tried. 

• Posted

Sorry was in a rush when I wrote this,  the hotel said they won't allow him in the water there.

I brought all the procters but they still won't allow it.

We have hospital again 2mrow for another xray and then again on the 11th that's when the doctor will tel me if they will splint his wrists.

I just wanted to know really how long was people cast on with a break 

• Posted

Oh, they won't allow it even with the waterproof cover. I guess I can understand that from their perspective, especially since he had surgery and his incision is still healing. There's a risk of infection from the water (you never know what bacteria may be in the water from someone else). Aside from the cast, you will need to be sure the incision is fully healed. My therapist wouldn't let me back in the pool for 6 weeks after surgery but my incision is 10 inches long so that may make a difference too. 

I remember my brother's doctor being very concerned about the bones growing back together normally to avoid pain in the future and to prevent any damage to the tendons that control movement of the hand and fingers. They even told him if the bones didn't heal properly, they may have to break the bones again to correct the problem. Maybe that was just to scare him because he was complaining about having to wear the cast but it worked. He's 22 now and his wrist, hand and fingers are all great. 

Talk to the doctors and see if the splint is sturdy enough to support his wrist for the couple extra weeks.  He may need to wear it all the time at first, even in the pool, but if it's strong enough and the X-rays look good, they might let him change it before you leave. Cody's doctor's warning was that the only one who would be hurt by him not taking care of his wrist was him. All you can really do is trust the doctors but don't let them make all the decisions. Just be sure you discuss your concerns with them and they'll give you your options and the risks of each. Then you just have to be a mom and make the best decision you can for your son. I know that's a lot easier said than done. 😊

• Posted

His surgery was just popping the bone back together,  there was no insicions made had cray last week and after 5 days the doctor said he had heeled really well , I'm. Just keeping everything crossed 
    • Posted

That's good. That's one less argument the doctor can make. I don't envy your position of possibly having to tell a 10 year old he can't go swimming on vacation. Good luck with the doctor!!
    • Posted

I don't think I will go if they don't remove the cast and put splints on 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.