bronchiectasis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all need some help i have bronchiectasis which iV had for about 8 months now i've been doing my physio train before the last 4 days can't bring any muka said it's there but wont come up i'm just wondering what i should do can anybody help please I dont feel that bad but not sure if iv got infectshone as no mucis comeing up iv been of antbotoat for 2 weeks now after being on and of them for months and im geting reallt bad arthritis in my knees since i've had bronchiectasis and the draining seems to make the knee pain worse if anybody can give me any suggestions i would appreciate it

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jojo,

I can remember trying to bring up mucas using a 'flutter' with little success when I first had Bronchiectasis. I do deep breathing daily, and now find that having a lie down about half an hour after lunch, in the afternoon has the effect of mucas finding its own way up. After 10/15 minutes, it just seems to gurgle up and I have to have some tissues handy. I sort my own antibiotics out now as I am used to the colour of the sputum and also if I have have bad coughs and sneezing, I go back on the antibiotics.

Let us know how you get on, it is a good forum and lots of people have some good tips.

Blessings,

Lesley

• Posted

Thanks for geting back to me lesley.iv been trying with both with no susex. Its been about 5 days since brought a good amont up . You can feel it there but no gurgle its just as if it stuck .iv was in hosptil in oct with intven anttbott for 10 days and been on 3 sorts of them since been home .im woundering if i should be back on them again i do keep them at home but feel so low keep takeing them im back to see hosptil end of this month.
    • Posted

jojo,

mine comes up in small amounts, not in large amounts, but it adds up...

• Posted

Hi jojo40, I have found if I have trouble bringing up the mucas if I leave it til around noon and go and lie flat on the floor after a little while lying there it comes up without much effort.  You may find that there is a special time of the day when your lungs have filled and it comes up .  I can tell the time of the day by my lungs around 11 every day it pours out of me...good luck

• Posted

Hi jojo, I sorry to hear your struggling with the antibiotics, sadly it's the side effects of some of the oral antibiotics, ask your doctor if he can change them. I put three pillows stacked on top of each other and lay over them, first in my left or right side for twenty minutes then change over, this helps to bring the sputum up, it's like draing honey out of a jar, if your partner can help you with the percussion even better. I do this twice daily, it does help a lot.

i hope you feel much better soon 

• Posted

I do it like that to but dont seem to work . I live alone so cant get help and im 62. So sick of this thing iv been on so many anttboats with not much breack inbeen just down right now. But thanks for help x
    • Posted

Hi jojo,  there are some good tips from joy.

Try visualization which is currently getting a lot of research backing.

Visualiz maybe a small vacuum cleaner, cleaning out your lungs...tell your lungs (out loud) that you want the mucas to come up. It may take 20 minutes to get any results but you have the time...enjoy the rest and be patient with yourself.

To find out if you are on the correct antibiotics, ask your doctor to arranged for a sputum test to be sent for analysis, they will tell him the correct antibiotics for your particular bugs. We need some specific analysis, with our complaint,

Blessings,

Lesley

• Posted

Thanks again .yes my dr as sent it of on 3 occasions all ways comes back showing no pacific infection so just keep trying different antibiotics .i have just brought a small amount up and down what you said with the pillows i was only using one did it for at least three quarters of an hour and i Got a bit up its very sticky and brownish so i dont think that is infectshone .i do still smoke and i know what every one will say about that i lnow its time to stop i keep trying different things to help me from smoking but it's so hard i suffer really bad with anxiety and depression i also suffer with insomnia have done for 30 years due to working night shifts at the hospital i live alone and don't go out that much now because my arthritis in my knees has got worse due to my last bout add pneumonia and to top it all off i'm diabetic to So now i have this to stop right now would send me over the edge i think i know it's no excuse and i will stop everyday i say that's it and i get so stressed i feeling like this all the time i just have another one and then i'm riddled with guilt
    • Posted

Thanks Lesley. I,m always asking and looking for ways to help keep my chest clear, my chest consultant said keeping the chest clear posteral draining is one way of helping to avoid infections as whatever is there will be infected and just get worse the longer it sits in the lungs, it's tiresome but it certainly helps..

keep well and warm 

• Posted

We all feel your pain and frustration. You are not alone. It's hard some days but try to stay positive. Put fun music on or walk or something you love. Try if you can laying sideways on bed with hips at edge and put arms on floor like you are trying to read. Sputum will come up maybe. read Stay strong. I always think I could have something worse
    • Posted

Thank you so much i will. Its so good to hear from others with this its such a confont. Xx
  • Posted

Keep trying jojo.  It can be really hard sometimes.  But do relax when you are doing your postural drainage.  If you try too hard it can sometimes make it worse because you seem to tense your muscles up and it works against you.  Sometimes it is best to give up and go away and then try again later.  I find the afternoon is the best time for me too - in fact I have just been doing it!

No nagging.  Just do try and get some help with giving up the ciggies.  You will never really feel properly well until you do. 

The knee aches go with bronchiectasis.  I have them too.

• Posted

Thank you for geting back to me. Yes iv found that out that when im really stressed then there's no chance of bringing Anythink up . I know i have to stop smokeing just so hard right now all i done is cut down to hafe of what i used to smoke and thats hard im thInking about buying a electronic cigarette because its not i enjoy smokeing its the habit
    • Posted

Hi its me again. Hope your well. I was just wondering when you haven't got infection from bronchiectasis what colour is your mucus because i'm not that use to it yet i was just wondering i know if its green then i probably got infection.sorry to keep asking things im seeing my consultant at the hospital on the 30th of this month hopefully she can tell me more about this disease but in the meantime i just hope and thank you for all the help that you are giving me thanks again jojo
    • Posted

It varies a lot - often depends on the air quality. When I visit London it is flecked with black . If I have very green smelly mucus I know it's infected. If it's green that can be a sign too but I usually wait to clear my chest properly before I start taking antibiotics.
    • Posted

Hi Jojo, mine is a grey/green colour; I take Azithromycin 250mg on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. I think it keeps everything under control. If I feel really well (good weather) I have a few weeks off, but then the coughing and sneezing start up again quite badly and I go on them again. I haven't had an appointment at the hospital for a long time, so I think I have been forgotten. I must see the doctor and get a check up when the weather improves. At the moment the air is very cold.

Blessings,

Lesley

• Posted

Yes its cold hear too. I not heard of them tablets. Well keep warm and well better weather will be hear soon xx
    • Posted

Ok thanks for that keep warm and well xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.