Bronchiectasis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have Dry Bronchiectasis does anyone else have this form of it?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

We do have folks with the dry form on here, Irene, tho I definitely have the wet cough form. I'm sure they'll pop in in a day or so.

It is an exhausting disease and infections get scary sometimes.

• Posted

Thanks so much for getting back to me I was beginning to wonder if I were the only one with the dry form hopefully like you say other folk will come forward too ...Thanks again.
    • Posted

People are often busier on weekends, or maybe they just want a break from talking about their illness. Me, I've got no life, lol, between lung treatments, no car right now & city taking my bus line away. Really the problem is all the pollen & smoke from Mexican farmers' fires at this time if year -- couldn't ride buses now anyway, too much exposure. Bronchiectasis rules!

• Posted

Air tag, do you find the air quality really makes a profound difference in the number of infections you contract? I wonder others opinions on this, too? 
    • Posted

Well, I don't want to hijack Irene's post but yes, for me all the stuff in the air has 2 bad impacts: constant irritation therefore more muck, and if I get a sinus infection it goes straight into my lungs.

• Posted

Aitarg,  thank you, if you suffer with sinus problems too I’d like to talk with you more.
  • Posted

Hi Irene,

Yes I'm one of the dry bx. My pulmonary rehab physio told me that 70% are wet and 30% are dry. 

I don't seem to get coughs or colds just a bug or bacteria that goes straight to the lungs and tightens my breathing. The last episode took from Oct - Jan to clear up with abs and steroids

BTW I'm 67 now and didn't really have any issues until 2016. My consultant said I could have had bx for a long time but it had never shown itself. The CT scan shows it in the base and sides of my lungs. 

Can I ask how does it affects you? 

• Posted

Hi Janet, nice to hear from you, sometimes I wonder about having the wet Bronchietasis at least with that you can cough some of the junk in your lungs up, but with the dry Im lucky if I ever even get a cough! so the same stuff keeps getting re-infected all the time. Right now I have another infection and I get a dull pain in the back of my lungs and my breathing gets very shallow and laboured and God forbid if I try to hurry....I am just clutching at the air to breathe it is very scary at times I have just turned 66 this month but I have had this condition about twelve years by now.
    • Posted

Morning Irene (UK time)

I also get the dull pain in one lung, it's the one I had pleurisy in during the last flare up. My consultant said it ends up like a 'shingles' pain and can take a long time to settle. I think the problem for my bouts lasting so long is not being able to cough and get a sputum sample so they know the type of ab to treat it. Do you have a nebuliser to help you stabilise your breathing? I've only used mine twice since I've had the machine but it did help. Can you ring your consultant to get an appointment? 

Sounds like we're just a year apart in age...my birthday was in April too...Happy Birthday!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.