Bronchiectasis and cleaning products etc

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with bronchiectasis in May 2015.  I have no sense of smell or taste due to sinus issues.  Since my diagnosis I have concerns about the cleaning products I am using.  As I cannot smell these products, now worry that I could be inhaling horrible fumes every time I use them? Also, have stopped using perfume as again worry that this could aggrevate my bronchiectasis.   Perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily? Any thoughts please.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trish Smells like petrol thinners etc seem to close up my chest. It is ages since I have been able to wear perfume. Was led to believe this was due to the Bronchi but on my last hospital visit the young doctor I saw said she was inclined to think there was maybe a form of asthma involved somewhere causing this

• Posted

I am sorry i cant offer any help on this, however I cant wear afyer shave but I stick to all the cleaning products I would normally use and seem to be going on ok at mo.

• Posted

Hi Mo

Thanks for your response, think I will have a re-think about cleaning products as my chest definitely feels tight after I have used some of them.  I have never been "tested" for asthma, so do not know if I have this to any degree.

• Posted

Hi David,

It sounds as if you are ok with the normal cleaning products, which is good.  Its annoying that I can't smell anything, so do not know how potent the smell is for these products.  I definitely can't wear perfume anymore. Thanks for your reply. 

• Posted

I will see if I can private message you about your sinus issues in general. I WOULD definitely stay away from most cleaning products if I were you. I have found the eco versions available in the supermarket to be very good.  Also, a mixure of baking soda, dish soap, water and vinegar has worked well for me.  You can find recipes online for various homemade mixtures using some or all of those ingredients. I make one out of all the ingredients.  I add the baking soda first and then dilute it so that it forms a paste like consistency.  To my great surprise - it is the only thing that removes the soap scum from my shower doors.  Go a bit easy on the vinegar - but the other ingredients should not cause any breathing problems.  I have asthma and bronchiectasis.
    • Posted

Hi BookNut

Thanks for your response,  I have had a look at eco products but am very interested in trying some homemade mixtures, as years ago people did not have all these sprays and chemicals  ..... think this is the way to go for me.  I will look online for some natural methods of cleaning and will definitely try your suggestions.

• Posted

hi trish i have had broncho for 53 years never had any problem with cleaning products  might be worth investing in a steam cleaner if it does affect you

my passion is perfume and i have never had any bother with it yours may be ann allergy related issue

• Posted

Hi Kathleen

Thank you for your response.  I will look into getting a steam cleaner, sounds much better than spraying chemicals about the place. As for the perfume issue, I have always worn perfume with no problem, but recently it seems to effect me, as you say, it could be unrelated to bronchiectasis and more probably an allergy.  I think having bronchiectasis is making me paranoid about things, or is it my age lol!! 

• Posted

Hibk we all get that i recently put my tiredness down to broncho as well as being a bit more out of breath after blood test apparently i have anaemia deficiency of iron and b12 oten can go hand in hand qith bronco any way got folic acid and iron to take so will see how it goes
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen

I think I blame broncho for just about everything and not looking at the wider picture! 

I had been feeling much better for the past 2 weeks, but yesterday tight chest and breathing laboured for some reason.  Its so odd how this disease is .... sometimes there is no reason for the way it behaves!  I think that is why I get a little paranoid about things, trying to keep everything on an even keel and then the breathing starts playing up.  Its hard sometimes as I used to be fit and had my retirement planned out but I now  take each day as it comes.  I am grateful as I am one of the lucky ones that does have short periods when I feel "normal"!

• Posted

Sorry Kathleen, I pressed the send before I finished writing my response to you.

Wanted to say, hope you feel better very soon, and that the folic acid and iron work and you feel less tired. x

• Posted

Thanks Thrish

Physio reckons i have got my clearance regime spot on asi was getting better. air entry into the lungs

I will let you know about the folic acid and iron didn't know that anaemia could be linked to broncho but apparently some of the drugs we use can stop the absorption of b12 so it has to have a boost now and again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.