Bronchiectasis Bras

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I have had bronchiectasis since I was about four, diagnosed when I was fifteen. 

I find wearing bras really uncomfortable, sometimes painful, and my last x ray actually showed a band of scarring in the lungs right around the bra line. For the last couple of years I have mostly done without wearing one as I work from home, but sometimes you want to get dressed like a normal person!

So has anyone found a bra that's comfy and avoids the tight strap around the rib cage?

Many thanks!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

This forum, and this thread specifically, is only confirming my assumption that bronchiectasis sufferers can be extremely different in their symptoms and issues. I have never had a similar problem smile
  • Posted

sorry Jenny, I know it is not funny what you describe, but it did make me laugh anyway. thank god I do not have to wear a bra! did you ever hear that Billy Connely song about not wearing a bra? "does your hair hand low does it swing to and fro, can you tie it in  a knot can you tie it in  a bow?" the next verse is the killer! apologies again, hope you smiled cheesygrin
    • Posted

for hand, please read "hang" ^^
  • Posted

Hi Jenny

As wearing a bra could never apply to me, I cannot claim to be an expert on your particular issue. However given the nature of Bx, unless a medical professional tells you otherwise, the site of the scarring is likely to be only coincidence rather than actually caused by your bra. The only exception might be if you wore it so tight it restricted your breathing, but that would have been past the point of any comfort. That appears unlikely. I cannot think that if you now wore one, it would make the scarring worse but anything too restrictive might alter your breathing, at least psychologically. There is a powerfu psychological  effect from feeling unrestricted whatever clothing might feel tight, whether man or woman. 

If you do want to dress like others, have you tried in recent years with something at least soft and comfortable and maybe worn a little loose. I know that even a very tight coat seems to be unhelpful but it does not actually make the Bx worse, even though I am always conscious of it and its terrible side effects.

Best of luck in living a normal life despite this disease

• Posted

Hi Jenny, FWIW my partner had issues with the tightness of the band when pregnant. Her solution was a very bra like lycra sports top. However, that does have implications for the size of the article of clothing - and I suspect from your comment that you may be looking for something that could be worn under a dress or something.

Have you tried going to somewhere like Rigby & Peller (assuming you're in the UK) and throwing yourself upon their mercy? You will at least be fitted very accurately- which may go a long way to improving comfort for you - and they will have good advice on what to go for. The other half actually didn't like their design since they tend to have the shoulder strap coming from the very outside- she prefers that strap to come more central on the cup, and she regretted that because she really liked them.

The other problem of course it's that they can be fiercely expensive - but if you are looking for a special bra for a special occasion, then that is surely the place to go.

Cheers

S

• Posted

I bought a maternity bra which was comfortable I usually wear underwired bras but when I have an infection it causes painful lungs so I find the maternity one much more comfortable also try a sports bra that may help

Keep me posted

Rachel ☺

• Posted

Hi jenny. I have only had bx since 2014 but had lots of chest infections before that. But I to ate wearing a bra and it's only been last year since when I wear one I feel my breathing gets worse so soon as I'm home it's off every day and I feel better then. But I don't think it as anythink to do with anymore scaring the lung just makes me feel so tight in that area and iv tried bigger size with just the se feeling when it's on . Hope you get sorted everyone hear is affected different.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I may try a maternity bra then. Rigby & Peller would be my dream, but at the moment it's just that!
  • Posted

The only solution I can think of is a sports bra. No wire if I am not mistaken. Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Russ

• Posted

hi Jenny,

if you are not too large busted, bralettes are comfy. I love hanky panky brand...their lace is extremely high quality and durable. I've had one of their camisoles for nine plus years (I know because my dog ate one of two when a pup, lol; the other I bought nine years ago to replace the pup cheating one. They have been carelessly machine washed and dried at all temps literally dozens of times with no discernable wear. About six months ago I doing for one of their bralettes in palest pink after finding it is hard to find a really soft and pretty one that doesn't itch (cheap lace) or ok comfy ones that don't look like an ace bandage (think spanx). It was $48 (short don't know latest exchange rate) but it makes me happy just to look at it. At first I was careful and hand washed it, but as always here where helpful husband throws everything in washer and dryer, it has also stood the test. It is made from HPanky's signature stretch lace like the camisoles. See on AMAZON which is where I bought the bralette.

Sorry this is long but I am trying to save you the time and money. Funny how some clothing items are ready for the rag bag after a few wearings, while others last decades looking new (all my favorite dresses and blouses are over 25 yrs old!!) You'll see Hanky Panky has a cult following. No, I don't get a commission!

PS Great news for all ladies who hate bra wearing! I asked Dr. Google the other day if wearing a bra is necessary to avoid looking like the old joke Chinese lady "Wun Hung Low"...turns out nothing keeps gravity from having its way so might as well be comfortable and forego them except when it's worth the discomfort for modesty or appearance in clothing.

36B bronchiectasis, MS, and Lumbar fusion

• Posted

stupid spell check.

I tried sports bras and found even xl can be uncomfortable. they are made to stop the bouncing so are constructing if you are trying to avoid that.

• Posted

constructing! STUPID spell check!!

so sorry, over and out!

• Posted

omg it changes it back wrong every time I try to write CONSTRICTING. sooo sorry, and I give up if it still says the other.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.