Bronchiectasis clearance of mucus

Posted , 5 users are following.

i read part of a discussion but couldnt get in to write an immediate replyit was about fellow sufferers who are embarrased to do their clearance regime till everyone eklse is out or gone to bed, and it really upset me i have been a sufferer since i was 7 I am now 64

whilst i know its not always pleasant i dont hide the fact i have to do it and by not doing it morning and evening tghen you are never going to manage it.

Give your loved ones a little more credit all my family know i have to doi it i live with my daughter my husband and we have a 4 year old grandaughter who will come to me and ask have you done your nebulising and breathing nana

with good medical care a managed routine there is no reason to be ashamed of this disease or worried by it  you can lead a normal life providing you understand your condition make sure you have your medication ensure you have been referred to a chest clinic /consultant physio attached to the consultant and remember all GPs may not be aware of any changes made by the consultant or may not know the condition that well then you know about it and you tell them it is important to have a good rapport with all your doctors I always say that gp consultant and physio and me are a team

my heart went out to those who felt tey couldnt bge open with the clearance and i am always happy to give any support i can

kath

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

You are so right, when first diagnosed I was in denial and didn't want to talk about it to anyone.  But I have now told my family that clearance is something I have to do now to keep well.  I explained why it is necessary to get rid of the gunge and all sympathised with me.  In fact they now ask "have you done your exercises!" I am new to this condition and still trying to get my head round it. I have recently seen a very good respiratory physio, she is a straight talking, no nonsense type of person, just what I needed to stop me feeling sorry for myself.  I am gradually facing the fact that just got to try and keep well and get on with life!

• Posted

Well done trish thats how you get to grips with it and i bet you feel better forit

kath

• Posted

What medications do you take Kathleen

I wasnt given anything and wasnt told anything about it. It was my rhuematologist that sent me for the lung scan and found  I had bronchectstis..

Joyce

• Posted

I take carbosteine to thin the mucus spiriva and ventoli and symbicort i use a ventolin sol nebuliser followed by saline solution to clear twce a day

prednisolone and an emergency antibiotics when i get a bad infection

i am hoping ti gi on azithromycin whivh is a permanent antibiotic taken 3 days a week and my physio its not as bad as it it sounds

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.