Bronchiectasis is really starting to get me down

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been feeling so bad for about a week...I left a phlem sample with the lab Monday...waiting for the results...I cannot hardly walk without being out of breath..I am so tired all the time...and the wheezing is getting worse...I just want to feel normal again....I am not having a pity party...just tired of being sick & tired...I nebulize all the time and it doesn't seem to help that much...The last couple of nights I have coughed so much my chest hurts....I just want some relief for awhile....This stuff is not easy to deal with....Thank you for letting me Vent....Cynthia 1971...

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am sorry you are suffering right now. It sounds as though you are doing the right things. For me, my salvation was discovering azrythromycin an antibiotic which has one magic property the others do not, an anti inflammatory effect. I had seen two physicians and had tried al sorts of inhalers and antibiotics including one in the same class as A, clarythromycin, but it had not worked. After being referred to one of the top guys nationwide, he put me on A. After a few weeks life was different. Of course different things will work for different people so this cannot be a recommendation. However it turned my life around and things only get worse with the inevitable head colds etc and it then takes a while to regain equilibrium. Anyway, this is something of a diversion from me saying that I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thanks broadsword....I have heard and have some of that antiobitic but am waiting for results....
  • Posted

Oh have a good vent! Does you good!

Have you been clearing your chest - I.e. doing your postural drainage or similar to get that sputum away. If your lungs are clogged up you just can't breathe. And take your time too - you can't clear your lungs in 5 minutes.

Rest and rest and rest again. Pop a hot water bottle or wheat bag against the bits that hurt.

Really hope you get your anti biotics soon. In the meantime do what you can to make yourself more comfortable.

Have a hug.

• Posted

Hi Operalyn...I have been nebulizing at least 4 times a day...all I want to do is sleep..waiting for the nurse to give me results of my sputum test....thanks for the kinf words...
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Like broadsword, Azithromycin has made all the difference to me. Hope you get your results soon. I'm sure it must feel like it's going on forever but things will change....just hang in there! It's good to vent (was going to say it's good to get it off your chest....if only!!) Look after yourself.
    • Posted

Hi 4jean.....just waiting for my sputum test....i have been hearing good things about Azithromycin...
  • Posted

Oh I hope you get the relief you need Cynthia sending all good wishes 
    • Posted

This has been going on for a week now...just want some relief...thanks for caring and the message....
    • Posted

jayne24241...this has been going on for a long....I went to a ENT for a yeast infection in my throat...The doctor did throat surgery on me and removed scar tissue...He is the one that told me he thought I had Bronch....My Pulomanary doctor was not helping me at all...He just said that with my severe allergies & chronic bronchitis it was something that I was just going to have to deal with..I connected the dots and realized Bronchietasis was more what I was dealing with....i am trying to make an appointment now...if it takes to long to get to see him ..I will go back to the ENT....I think the Azithromycin might be what I need...i will keep you posted as soon as I find something out...Thanks...
  • Posted

Oh, I am so sorry that you do not feel well. The last time I had felt so horrible and was missing work so often, my lung doc put me on first Bixan then followed it with levaquin  750 mg.  Do not take them together, they can change the rate of the heart beat. Some docs like to give a give start of steroids, but I was informed that this was not the best for us and would not make a difference.  Can you ask your lung doc to prescribe the couth syrup Tussionex for you. This is my salvation for times when I can not stand the cough any longer. It's a very, very strong cough syrup and it does cost a lot, but it really does calm the cough and I can finally get relief for a bit. Mind you, you must not drive because it is a narcotic. One teaspoon every 12 hours. I find 1/2 teaspoon almost last 24 hours.  No, it is not easy and it is good to be able to vent once in awhile to someone that actually understands what you are going through.  Please take care and let us know how you are doing.
    • Posted

Thank you everyone for the kind words...I went to the ENT doctor yesterday and the Yeast Infection is back again in my throat..it just is another problem on top of the B...They are treating me with two antoborics..one for the Yeast & the other one that all of you are sayiing is good to use...I just have to be patient and hope this combo starts to work....boy the antibotics have some awful side affects....I will keep you all undated on my progress..Thanks again...I told the doctor about this forum site I joined ...he sounded impressed...
  • Posted

Just a thought about the yeast infection. I am not sure whether you are using an inhaler or inhalers. These do have a tendency to increase the risk of yeast infections in the throat. The risk is greatly reduced if inhalers are only used with a spacer device. Mine is a tube about 2" in diameter and about 7" long.. It is straight sided and travels well. There are other more bulbous spacers. Another trick is to ensure you wash out your mouth after an inhaler with a final water gargle and spit out in the throat. These actions avoided the problems I had. 
    • Posted

Hi broadsword...The yeast infection is caused from the Advair...and the ENT Doctor said it is back...she has me on one antibiotic for that & the other one that most people on this forum says works for them AZithromycin...I hope I get some relief...I will keep updates...
    • Posted

Sorry you are struggling so much. We all know how tough it can be. I too use Advair twice daily but am sure to rinse mouth well after each use and have never had yeast infection. Also my doc gives me an antibiotic to have on hand to began taking when I feel another infection coming on. I think if you start it sooner than later you get on top of it quicker before getting out if control Something to ask about maybe. Good luck. It will get better
    • Posted

You are very right mary08543....I waited to long...dovtor said the yeast infection was not that bad...thanks for your comment...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.