bronchiectasis/pseudomonas

Posted , 76 users are following.

I am here to find patients like me with Bronchiectasis and the complication of chronic Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. I am intersted in knowing what kind of treatments they use to stay healthy. I have had theP.A. for seven years but do not have Cystic Fibrosis.[/b]

8 likes, 277 replies

277 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi  guest i have bronchiectis  im taking  carbocistine montilukast for asthma and  azithromycin antibyotic for  bronchiectis   witch i find works with the mucus  hope you fell better soon can u tell me what pseudomanas aeginosa is please not heard of it
    • Posted

I too keep getting this dreadful bacteria. Had it twice in less than 2 months. I live in the UK. I am given Ciprofloxacin. I am hoping I can get Tobramicin for my nebuliser
    • Posted

What the Tobi does is stop the infection prior to it getting a hold and taking off.  It's not a cure, but it is sort of a preventive.  Today about an hour ago I finished my seven days for this every other month treatment.  I will now cough and produce for about 3-4 days and then it's over until about four -six days prior to my next start date.  I neglected or misstated that I started this process in 2009 along with exercise.  Only a bit at first and now four miles per day or more if I have time.  

?As I've stated this process has worked well for me.  I have not had a flare up since starting the process and only two colds, only one of which went to the chest and then I took a 10 course of Augmentin and it all cleared up.

Good Luck

Bud

• Posted

Tobi sounds good Bud if it prevents an infection getting hold. Not sure why I haven't been offered it, although I seem to be managing quite well for now.

😊

• Posted

I'm on an inhaled antibiotic called cayston. I use it 3 times a day for 28 days then off. I also have asthma. It has been very trying times for me dealing with this illness. The only time I get a break from the mucus is when I'm on the cayston.

• Posted

The tobramycin we get from Walgreens in Pensacola Fl. We mix it at home and it cost us $40.00 a month on Medicare. Premixed was going to be $750.00 our cost deductable amount after Medicare so my sister who is a Doctor of Pharmacy with a PHD told me how to do it and she did it this way before they had premixed when she was just a pharmacist 30 years ago. My doctor does 28 days tobramycin mixed with .9 sodium chloride twice a day in nebulizer then 28 with 3% Sodium chloride. Helps to bring up mucus some. I do 4 more neb treatments with Albuterol, 2 different inhalers, mucinex, oxygen 24/7, and Azithromycin 5 days off 2. I just went on morphine to help breathing when it gets hard to breath. If you need help getting the medicine send me an email and I will send the phone number of Pharmacy and maybe they can help you. They don't give me much hope maybe I can help someone else.

• Posted

The European Respiratory Society guidelines states that people with bronchiectasis who also have a

specific type of infection-causing bacterium (or “bug”) in their lungs called P. aeruginosa (also called Pseudomonas) should be offered eradication treatment – a targeted type of antibiotic treatment that aims to get rid of the bug completely, lasting up to 3 months.

• Posted

I've had bronchiectasis for most of my 67 years, and developed pseudomonas approx 4 years ago.  I was told the only antibiotic that will work for me now is ciprofloxacin which has nasty side effects.  I was also told that it's virtually impossible to eradicate pseudomonas once it's colonised.

• Posted

Hi Irene, I also had ciprofloxacin for 2 wks. Cleared the infection /bacteria but not sure if it's waiting to resurface. I was @ hospital earlier this week and was told it could have been there for years without me knowing . Because of my COPD I really suffer. Hoping it has gone. I hate feeling like this.

• Posted

Other half has the same as you.  He was being treated with the wrong antibiotics for two and a half years slowly getting worse.  Following an admission to a leading hospital and their CT scanning the marking areas were located.  Washing of the lungs was undertaken and pseudomonas aeruginosa  was confirmed.  One month ciprofloxacin followed by six monthly azithromyacin has done its job. Latest CT scan shows improvement.  New action plan was put in place of when each of these antibiotic were to be used.   Knowing which to use when is the important part.

Pseudomonas lays dormant and future flare ups will occur being prepared is now a useful tool.  

Exercise is important,  as is clearing phlegm with pep device.

i did a lot of research and ciprofloxacin and azithromyacin remain best practice for most countries.

yes Cystic Fibrosis is what they look for via regular CT scans to keep on top of any further changes happening within your lungs

• Posted

Hi, I have had Pseudonmonas for quite some time and yes it is also resistant to antibiotics. The doctors have me on a combination of Colomycin and 7% hypertonic Saline. it helps a little bit but not much change unfortunately. In terms of Phlegm I use autogenic drainage exercise which has helped me massively. its crude to say but you kind of do have to be 'intune' with your phlegm. if you type into google autogenic drainage exercises, there are a good set of instructions on how to do this by Sandwell and West Birmingham hospitals.

hope this helps. 

• Posted

Thanx for that info. Will look into it. Been to dr 2day coz the Pseudo has come back. Got some more Ciprofloxacin
  • Posted

Hello! Just to reassure you that you can live long and prosper as they say on Star Trek. I have had bronchiectasis with pseudomonous for years . I have had bronchiectasis since I was a baby and I'm still here just two months away from my 70th birthday. The main thing I do is to spend time every day clearing my chest of phlegm by doing postural drainage . I take antibiotics when I need to and use a steroid puffer night and morning. If ever I feel the need to clear my chest I always go to the nearest toilet or find a private place to cough it up. I try to keep my chest as clear as possible.always. I produce a lot of mucous and always have. I worked all my life and have done most things I've wanted to do. Good luck and be brave.

• Posted

Thanks for that Operalyn. The problem I have is I've got a weak immune system coz I've had both my adrenal glands out so easily catch anything going. The Pseudo has been found in the water in my bungalow & the council don't want to come and sort it out

• Posted

How awful. Goodness knows where mine came from. It's all over the place. I have been told it's pretty impossible to eradicate if your lungs have been colonised which mine have. Ciprofloxacin is the antibiotic which works - at the moment anyway.

Sorry about your lowered immune system too. Just what you don't need - bronchiectasis is bad enough on it's own. My best wishes.

• Posted

I was also given Ciprofloxacin. This is the 2nd dose that I've been given. Also like you & Gill I get oral thrush. Take Fluconzole tablets to get rid of that.

• Posted

Carole, When you take Fluconzole, how long is it before the thrush returns? By the way, I only get problems in the mouth, never anywhere else which I suppose is a blessing.
    • Posted

This is the 2nd time in about 5 wks. I only get it in my mouth. I get it when the pseudo gets a grip.
    • Posted

I only get it in my mouth too although when I was younger I was not so lucky!  I had a particularly difficult bout of oral thrush last year which just wouldn't clear up.  In the end I took the tablets for a month and it finally disappeared.  Then I didn't have it for ages but had a short bout of it a few weeks ago after taking cipro.  The worst thing to set it off I have found is the oral steroids.  I try to be scrupulous about always washing my mouth out  afterwards but sometimes it still appears.  I had it in my mouth and all down my throat when I had the long course of Fluconazole.  Now I have it on my repeat prescription form but I try not to use it too often because it is not really recommended to take it for too long.

• Posted

Hi Operalyn, what posture drainage works best for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.