Bronchiectasis - Stem Cell treatment

Posted , 8 users are following.

I live in the states and attended a webinar concerning the use of stem cells for the treatment of bronchiectasis.  It was very informative.

They remove stem cell from the patient, treat the cells, then put them back into the patient.  The new cells will gravitate toward the scared cells in the lungs and start to repare the scared issue.  It won't improve the airways, but will lower infections and improve lung function.

Since its research, insurance won't cover it. It can cost from $7,500 - $12,000.

Has anyone had any knowledge of Stem Cell Research?

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I see that the thread is over a year old now, and I was wondering how you are?

Did you have the stem cell treatment? Do you notice any difference? 

My 20 yr old daughter has bronchiectasis, and the future stretches out in front of us, with the hope that one day stem cell treatment can help.

Anyway, I send you good wishes Elizabeth, and hope you are Ok.

Etty

• Posted

Hello, Etty,

Yes, I had the treatment done thirteen months ago. I haven't noticed a big difference, but in the past year, I have not needed a bronchoscopy or a hospital stay, which is a huge improvement. My lung function is still the same, if not a little better.

But before the treatment, it seemed that I was having more and more exacerbations that required bronchoscopies and/or hospital stays. I was mostly short of breath, wheezing and lacked energy. That has improved slightly.

This treatment was to repair the damaged lung tissue. It won't improve the weakening of the airway walls (which is part of the Bx illness).

With your daughter being so young, modern medicine should be able to find 'cures' or better management of this illness in the near future.  Years ago, most doctor didn't know much about Bx, but with more and more of us getting it, they are now taking notice.

I have read, from this forum, that there is a procedure that 'stints' are placed along the weakened airways to help support them. Like the stem cell treatment, it's in the research stage.

I wonder, if I had not had the treatment, would I be worse off now.

Have a great new year and stay healthy, Beth

• Posted

I had hoped it was going to be a more exciting outcome than that, but at least you are better not worse! Stay strong & if you hear any more developments please let us know.

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.