Bronchiectasis with Vitamin D deficiency

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am 29 yrs old female from Pakistan. Since last two years I have been suffering from chest infection and went thru some intensive courses of wide ranged antibiotics. After all this, a week ago, Chest CT scan revealed mild Bronchiectasis, while a month ago Vitamin D test revealed that I am too much deficient in D. Now i am taking some supplement for making up this deficiency prescirbed by the same Pulmo consultant. I have also been advised for postural drainage exercise. Please tell me if the 'Pulomnary Rehab exercises' available on youtube are helpful for me? I am curious as what I know about this disease is that it is irreversible, means the parts of lungs have permanently damaged... One thing more, i do feel some secretions from inside of my nasal cavity fall down inside my thorat and thus to lungs, how should I manage it.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Gosh  but you're young for BX, even more so for Vit. D deficiency.  I can't tell you much about postural drainage as spinal problems mostly prohibit it, and I've never looked at YouTube breathing vids.

As to nasal drainage/post nasal drip, it might be good to learn what causes it.  Around here, in Central Texas, after one lives here a few years one will be reacting to all manner of stuff.  (Right now, fall elm & mold; in a few weeks, ragweed +fall elm + mold)  What i find truly irksome is that one need not be allergic to something to have allergic-type reactions.  If you're lucky it's caused by something you can change.  Otherwise, I use up 5 meds, 2 of which are homeopathic.

My understanding is the same as yours regarding the damaged area (s).  A bit depressing, but I was so sick for the 2 months before & 7 months after my diagnosis that I'm not too depressed, except that I cannot take my wonderful dog out for walks.

Just in case they have trouble getting your Vit. D level up:  keep in mind Micellized Vit. D.  It's a liquid & you put a couple of drops in 4 oz of water & drink.  It's the D of last resort for anyone who can't get their levels up by any other means.  Hope you won't need it, but just in case.  I stumbled across it after 3 years of trying to get my level up.

Others will pop in soon about the videos, etc.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Anam,

I am 40 yrs old female orignially I moved from pakistan to US. I have dealt with bronchiectiasis over 20 yrs of my life. Initially I was diagnosed with TB as a result later developed bronchiectiasis. My advise to you will be immediately get a pulmnogist. Second do breathing exercises or yoga at home and get a acapella valve. This will help you to clear your phelgm in the morning and night before you sleep and when you wake up in the morning . Also, if you are diagnosed with this disease this means some part of your lung is damage. This disease can be managed and controlled with inhalers and antibotics but unfortunately there is no cure for this disease. Also, with time this disease will result in long term antibotics and steroids as this is a chronic disease. Only other alternative is a lung lobectomy which means cutting out the damaged or collapsed lung. Recently on july 11th, 2017 I got a lobectomy done of my lower left lobe. This was a very difficult and scary decison for me to make. I decided to do this because this disease had taken over my life and effecting my family and kids. I was a sitting duck. I was constantly sick and in and out of hospitals either due to asthma attacks, bronchiectasis, pnemonia or something. I felt helpless and was not enjoying a good quality of live. Ultimately my pulmnogist had told either me thst I will be on 6 months of antibotics permenantly or you get a lobeactomy. I refused to be on 6 monthd of rotating antibotics as this will destroy my immune system. Then he explained to me that I was in his office every month due to this illness. He told me it is better for me to get this procedure and get rid of and since I am young I fill face minor complications. Then I met 2 surgeons and decided to have the surgery at Columbia hopsital in NYC. Recovery time dr told me is 6 wks. Although, I am still recovering I am glad that I did this VAT surgery(Video assisted throcoscopic surgery) I just wish I had done it sooner. Unfortunately, in the end will come to surgery. I am not trying to scare you but mentally preparing you of what it comes down too. Also as far as you having post nasal drainage you might be suffering from sinus blockage or allergies. Usually Bronchiectasis usually causes mucus in your lungs . If it gets worse please consult a dr. Hope my reply helps answer some of your questions. If you have any other question please free to ask me.

• Posted

If there's a possibility of surgery with improved outcome, keep this in mind:  it isn't an option that will wait forever.  Eventually no doc in the States will perform surgery because lungs are too damaged to predict surviving surgery.  By the time I was diagnosed in my early 60s, I was past that point.

Just another fun fact of BX.

• Posted

I too am over 60, allergies, BX as well as lots of lung scarring. Postnasal drip seems constant. I am wondering what homeopathics you use for your allergies. I get allergy shots, take Allegra, use Flovent and Flonase (corticosteroids for lungs and nasal).  I stopped D3 for a while having read it wasn't good for one of my conditions. I ended up with another infection so I started back daily D 5,000. Jennifer near Seattle

• Posted

The things I use, in addition to Clarinex,  Nasacort AQ (which is unscented b/c I can't handle the rose scent of flonase), saline mist & sometimes my old saline roto rooter, are BioAllers' Mold, Dust & Yeast, and an Allergena mix for my geographic zone.

• Posted

Thank you. I recall trying bio allers and having good success with pet allergies. I get Sensimist by Flonase from because I find the Fluticisone (generic) to be irritating.  Loratidine no longer works for me so my allergist had me try Allegra. I appreciate your reply so soon. I have an Oregano oil with water cool mist going right now. Just came today and its been running a few hours. I think it is helping my sinuses, in turn, my coughing. Jennifer near Seattle

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Of course now I'm dying to know what the links were!  FYI, generally we cannot include internet addresses in these open posts.  Don't know why but that's how it is.

I forgot to specify that I use the Allergena for trees/plants.  It is only 3 times daily.

I can only use allergy meds that don't cross the blood- brain barrier,  thus the loratidine.  The one thing that I know for sure it still helps with is whole body itching.  I say that, but if I miss a couple of days the post nasal drip starts.  As to the homeopathics, I tend only to use them when I'll be leaving the house a lot.

So in this house, i take Clarinex and the dog takes zyrtec!

Let me know how the oregano goes.

• Posted

I am newly diagnosed and I too feel I have mucous dripping into my throat as well as coughing it up. From what I've read this sometimes goes hand in hand with Bronchiectasis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.