bronchiectasis without persistent cough??

Posted , 5 users are following.

sorry to be a pain asking repeated questions, I will put my strait jacket back on and go to bed soon, I promise. just occured to me reading other peoples posts about the Bronchiectasis most having persistent coughs? thing is I do not have a persistent cough, never have had! I just suddenly feel a lump of phlegm at the back of my throat and usually one "huff" and it's out, is this just lucky, or have I got some other weird goings on? Yikes!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

David, I do not usually have a couch either.  I'm pretty much doing the same thing you do.  The only time I have gotten a rattley cough is when I have an upper respiratory infection.

My doctor says I have a mild case, so I assumed that was why I don't have a cough.

However, I sometimes get a tight, unproductive cough and when that happens I start taking some expectorant so I can get the mucous out of there.

• Posted

Nope David that's exactly how I am. Sometimes when I have a bad infection or my lungs are irritated by pollen or somesuch I cough a bit more but I only really cough now and again. It's a real 60 a day cough as well but I don't cough much as a general rule.
  • Posted

David I don't think you are a pain just glad as I am that we have this little outlet of our own to get hints from in the hope of helping ourselves. I think we are all in different stages of this horrible thing. I go to the hospital for checks used to be three months and then 6 months and then they decided as I had been well for nearly 12 months they would leave me longer. I am back to three months as I had a lot of flare ups from September to January. Every time I go for check at hospital I do the lung function tests which as you know involves huffing until you cannot huff any more. This must have an effect on my chest as always starts a flare up. Had a physio appointment and they gave me excercises huffing etc not had a great deal of success. They said to do them at least once a day every day for about 25-20 minutes. However when I do them I only get rid of a very small amount and after about 5 minutes cannot do anymore. Went to see Physio last Wednesday and because I have Osteoporosis apparently this limits what they can do physically. However he did a couple of things pressing really hard below my shoulder and shook me really hard and this has really loosened everything up but I have also started coughing and once again cannot expel much phlegm. I yelped when he did my left shoulder and have felt a discomfort in the area ever since. Yesterday couldnt breathe or move without pain in that area. Phoned him at hospital and he said it would be bruising and as long as the pain didn't radiate across my chest or down my arm it would just take time. Did you get a longer dosage of Cipro David not just 7 days I hope. I knew someone a number of years ago who I used to keep company with Bronchiectas but far advanced they were on oxygen all the time so I count my blessings and feel mine must be on the milder side
    • Posted

Mo I know it sounds a bit daft but sometimes a hot drink can loosen me up. Oh and steam. You can do a steam inhalation but even a warm steamy bath or shower can help. Just a thought.
    • Posted

I have noticed after my Cuppa in the morning especially really loosens me up haven't done steam inhalation yet must try. As soon as I get in the shower or bath yip that is typically when you need a tissue when you are soaking. When I have cleaned my teeth also not sure if it is the peppermint.
    • Posted

Oh and my special nurse at my GPs told me off for not drinking enough water - 8 glasses a day she says and it will thin out the sputum!
    • Posted

Yip it does help but i keep forgetting to drink.
  • Posted

Hi David, sorry to hear you're still not sorted. Just a thought but has anyone mentioned Post Nasal Drip? This can cause a build up of phlem at the back of your throat  and you want to get it up. I suffer from this as well as Bronchiectasis and Asthma, sometimes I think I've got another Chest infection starting it's that bad but if I can manage to cough it up, it is just from the Post Nasal Drip that I have. Lets hope this could be a solution for you. See your GP and you may be able to get a nose spray for your sinisus to try. Lets hope. Keep your chin up!
    • Posted

I'm glad you mentioned post nasal drip Anne. I have always had just as much trouble with my sinusitis and post nasal drip as I have with the bronchiectasis. They go together don't they? In fact I find my sinus trouble more difficult to control than my lung trouble.
    • Posted

thankyou Anne, must admit I thought Post Nasal Drip was an unfortunate side effect of late stage pregnancy or is that Natal? wink
    • Posted

Ha Ha! yes David Post NATAL is for Pregnancy. Do think about the Post Nasal Drip though, mention it to your GP. Regards Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.