BronchiectasisI am

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 76 recently diagnosed with this horrible condition and would welcome any tips from fellow sufferers. I only see a consultant every 6 months and my next appointment is in February 2019! Just need to hear from other people with the same condition Help!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maggie, I was also diagnosed about 18months ago and it's hard., but I've got used to living with it now, The worse thing for me is having to leave my job, I've gone VR and leaving in December because of the overwhelming tiredness.,but if you manage to do the breathing exercises frequently this will help clear the lungs, and eat as well as you can.

I find you can control it not the other way around. Hope this helps all the best.

• Posted

Hello maggie

It is a horrible disease  but there is help out there  especially if you read all the posts on this site   Clearing mucus helps a great deal   A physiotherapist will help you with that. I am 74 and diagnosed 14 years ago. At long last I have been assessed for rehab and will start this month.  You would need your doctor to refer you   As far as I know this will be for breathing  exercises and physical excercise. I go on the 19th so I will post on this site the results   Good luck and do push a little bit with your doctor . 

• Posted

I too was recently diagnosed. About 3 months ago. My doctor did a bronchial scope on me shortly after my diagnosis and from that bronchial scope he found that I had a chest infection. So he put me on an antibiotic. I had no idea that I had an infection. I had been complaining to my GP but she said my lungs sounded clear and that it was probably just allergies. I'm very happy that my pulmonologist found out what was wrong with me because quite honestly I had just gone in as my yearly checkup (I see him annually for asthma) and mentioned this chronic cough that I had been suffering from for many months. Once I had the antibiotic I started feeling a little better and not quite so tired. Have you had a bronchial scope done? Has your pulmonologist put you on an antibiotic? I just wonder if you have an infection and just don't know it. I'm not saying that this disease is pleasant but I don't know that you would be quite so tired unless you had an active infection or a fungal infection is also a possibility. In my case my doctor did biopsies of my lungs when he did the bronchial scope and that is how he looked for a fungal infection and found the bacterial infection. I don't know if there's another way to check for a fungal infection in your lungs or not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.