bronchiectisis and lung bleeds

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have regular lung bleeds is there anyone else out there who has the same problem and if so what have they been told.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I often cough up blood-stained sputum and at longer intervals I have had episodes of haemoptysis which have involved larger amounts of blood several times a day over a period of some days. I have not had any specific advice other than to take antibiotics for any underlying infection.
  • Posted

haemoptysis along with purulent sputum is often a sign of infection in bronchiectasis, but if it persists beyond treatment, it should be investigated if its ongoing. if you have not had a chest Xray for quite some time it may be worth requesting one, if this is persisting and troublesome.
  • Posted

Hello! I've got the same problem. I've diagnosed with bronchiectasis 2 month ago. In the first time I have a lung bleeding and got into hospital for a week, after that i have blood-stained sputum sometimes. It's the only symptoms i have, i dont have cough of everything else.

How long you have bronchiectasis? How many blood do you have when your lung bleeds? 

• Posted

Hi Larry,

I have bronchiectasis and I had a very bad lung bleed 2 years ago which is how I got to be diagnosed. I was put on antibiotics immediately and sent for a CT scan which was around 2 weeks after. Sputum tests are important to identify the bugs causing the infection, if you are still having lung bleeds, the bugs are still active. so, sputum test is vital and straight forward with the doctor.

Try to lay on your back for half an hour after lunch...for some reason the sputum rises for me, small amounts but it works and I just collect it on tissues.

A gentle walk every day, as exercise helps, let us all know how you get on, this forum is excellent for tips on controlling bronchiectasis.

Blessings

• Posted

I had wrote about a sputum incorrectly in my above message. Sorry for that, english is not my native language. Doctors say i've got dry bronchiectasis, it is mean i dont have sputum in my lungs at all, and i started to cough only 3 times for the time i had this diagnosis ( first time i spitted out fresh blood, and another two times just little clots of blood). I have Computed Tomography, fluorography and bronchoscopy to get diagnosed. With bronchoscopy doctors take flush from lungs and dont find any infection.

Now i waiting for my thoracic surgeon consultation. I feel fine, just nervous about this, and can't find any living forum about bronchiectasis on my language, or people with the same problem. Thank you for the answer!

• Posted

Hi Larry,

That is unusual, I haven't come across it either, but there are a couple of references to it on the web in English. What country are you from?

Here is a quote from the medscape site, 'A rare variant known as dry bronchiectasis manifests as episodic hemoptysis with little-to-no sputum production. I look forward to hearing how you get on, these complaints can usually be dealt with, quite straight forward these days

Blessings,

Lesley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.