Bronchiestasis cough worse after operation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an anti reflux procedure last Tuesday laparoscopic via the stomach. The next day my mucus production became excessive and is getting worse everyday. I have caused damage to my right hand side stomach muscle, where one of the incisions is. It is so painful when I cough I have been admitted back to the hospital for pain management. I have never experienced pain this bad in my life, when I cough. My question is there anything that can stop you coughing/producing mucus in an emergency situation? Can you be prescribed steriods with bronchiestasis? Would they help for short term relief, whilst muscle and incision heal? Thank you any advice? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've noticed with any procedure that involves putting me under seems to increase my mucus production. I would think that steroids might help, but then again they can increase the chance of infection. Have you tried calling your pulmonary Dr yet? I hope you start to feel better soon.

Laurie

• Posted

Thank you very much. Yes he was supposed to call me today but has not yet. I did think that about the chance of infection too.
  • Posted

My husband as ad this cough for 2 yrs only just found out he ad recurrant bronchitis which in one yr ad 7 lots of antibotics now consultant gave I'm carbocistene 6 a day then do gave I'm moxiflaxacin once day don't know which tablet making I'm tired forget full but don't seem to be helping with septum don't seem to move he gets mad cause can't move it of lungs gets short of breath I've herd that steroids help ope u get sorted out

• Posted

Alison, sorry you are having so many health issues. I think you have some of the right ideas. I would get my Pulomonolgist involved to help with the excessing mucous production or treating any infection. Sterroids and antibiotics are used often in casses like yours.

Are you running fever?

Glad you are back in the hospital, with such a bad cough which is being cause I assume by the excessing sputum produntion. Thought be careful. Wash your hands  often because there are some super bugs in hospitals.

Maybe use a hospital mask? All things your docotrs know I assume.

One thing we always did with our abdominal surgery patients was have them use something like a pillow to brace to your abdomen when you cough. Decreases the pain by 50%.

To sum up: Treat the cough and or infection and brace you abdomen when coughing until the coughing gets better.

These are general guidelines. Please work closely with you doctors to get you better.

Keep me posted and hope you are better real soon.

Russ

• Posted

Thank you Russ. I am back home on Oramorph for pan relief, which is helping thank goodness! But I am still continuously coughing excess mucus and am worried this muscle will never heal! I am seeing respiratory consultant on Wednesday, so hopefully he can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.