Bronchitis taking weeks to clear

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone have any tips re handling bouts of chest infection that take weeks to clear? Generally I can manage my condition, but after a stressful time last year I've had several bouts of bronchitis since Christmas (current one is now 4 weeks old). Repeated antibiotics, plus steriods last week, have not brought improvement re this current bout. Trying to eat well, rest, breathe correctly, use my Symbicort inhaler more etc, but does anyone have other tips or advice that could help with stubborn chest infections? Thank you

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sally. I take low dose of anntibiotc three times a week . And it has helped. Hope you get better soon .
    • Posted

Hi Pam

Thanks for your message. Yes, this is something I'm considering, along with some other ideas (eg. buying a home use nebuliser), so it's interesting to hear that it has helped you. It makes such a difference to hear from other people with bronchX and to get an idea of how others cope with the condition.

Thanks too for your good wishes.

Sally

• Posted

You're more than welcome Sally and I wish you the same amazing  results to those I've had.  I'm always  conscious of sounding a bit 'evangelical' when recommending Turmeric ... but the proof's in the pudding, for me.  In the very early days after starting Turmeric (say, in the first 2-3 months)  if I ever felt an infection might be a risk, I also took the following drink which killed it immediately, every time:-

•   1-inch piece of sliced ginger/ 1 teaspoon ginger powder

*   1 teaspoon turmeric

•   1 tablespoon organic honey

•   ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

•   ½ cup boiling water

Instructions: 

In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except the honey. Mix well and transfer the mixture in a saucepan. Add ½ cup boiling water, place on low heat and cook for about 5 minutes.

Finally, add the honey. 

I haven't had to resort to the 'drink' though, since Sept 2016.   

All my very best wishes - it'd be good to know how things go with you too, if you have a moment in the months ahead.

Alison x

• Posted

Hi Alison

Thank you so much! I have screen saved this. I do think that turmeric seems to have significant health benefits, and I've already ordered some capsules (from the supplier you mentioned) as well as a nebuliser. I feel that if I can just get through this current bout of infection (now in its 4th week) I now have an armoury of things that will help me get fitter and help to stay well.

I so appreciate your suggestions and I'll message you in a few months time to let you know how things have been. 

With sincere thanks

Sally

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.