Bronchitis with Asthma?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to the emergency doctors last night due to coughing constantly and gasping for breath. Doctors thought it was an asthma attack so they gave me a nebuliser treatment, it made no difference since I wasn't having an asthma attack. After that they did some tests and they said it wasn't an attack but it was bronchitis. Anybody know what it is? They gave me antibiotics and said come back if it gets worse. How will antibiotics help? Any advice from anyone who has had bronchitis before? All answers greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you may have a chest infection and they have put you on antibiotics which hopefully will sort it out if I get a chest infection it makes me very short of breath but I asthma which doesn't help you probably should go to your own doctor and let them check you out and decide if you need any other medication hope this helps regards

• Posted

This is my first time getting bronchitis and I don't really know much about it. I have asthma which makes it much worse because when I have an attack there is more mucus which makes it harder to breathe. I'm quite confused how i even got bronchitis in the first place, do you know why?

• Posted

Hi Emilia

I too have asthma and similar thing happened to me a few months ago .had to go to the emergency doc at hospital overnight as the cough was incessant with me coughing every few seconds for hours .doc felt it could be tracheal bronchitis and said it could take a good few weeks for the cough to go.thankfully the cough did improve with the antibiotics but not before my voice became very croaky for a period of Time.I hope your feeling better soon

• Posted

Yes I had to stay in hospital overnight and they gave me nebuliser treatment which didn't help AT ALL. In fact it made it worse... I was the same, coughing every 2 seconds which couldn't allow me to get the oxygen I needed. I have found it difficult to take the antibiotics as they keep getting stuck in my throat, if they go down I usually end up throwing up... Why can't I keep it down?

• Posted

Have you had the sensation before that you are having when you try and swallow the tabs ? I don't know much about the condition GORD but it might be worth reading online to see if you have any other symptoms. Your thoat might just be very inflamed with the relentless coughing ?

• Posted

I'm not sure... I haven't been able to keep anything down to be honest... Whenever I eat something, 15 minutes later I would throw it back up but the tablets would go down and straight back up. My throat is just very sore from all the coughing that I have done.

• Posted

P.s emelia the doc said the bronchitis might be viral and that the antibiotics might not help (just incase they don't help)

• Posted

From what i have read, Bronchitis is generally caused by a virus.

In your case it could be a Pertussis bacterial infection. This is particularly nasty as this is Whooping Cough. I'm sure they would not have prescribed antibiotics if it was viral.

I hope you get well soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.