Bronchopneumonia & COPD

Posted , 6 users are following.

Yesterday my gp diagnosed mild bronchopneumonia and prescribed Kalixocin (antibiotics) for a week, when I have to see him again to check if it's clearing up.    It's another case of "walking pneumonia" which I had 18 months ago and ended up in hospital for 3 days because I thought the tightness in my chest was possibly another heart attack, so called an ambulance.  The hospital put me on intravenous penicillin, horrible food, showers that hardly worked and geriatric noisy ward-mates ... so glad I waiting until I cd get an appointment with the gp yesterday.

Info for other COPD sufferers:  I wouldn't have thought I had pneumonia either time as I only had very mild cold symptoms, chest tightness, mild fever and extreme tiredness.    It seems it's nothing to muck around with: I learned from googling that I'm in strange company, as such different people as Gregory Peck and Myra Hindley died of it - both heavy smokers which I used to be.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Glad you found out Jude and have treatment. I do not fever easily even with staph living in my lungs. But each time I have had pneumonia, which thankfully I have only had a few times, I always fever. That gives me the clue.

Take care!

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Pneumonia is not to be taken lightly ,,,,like I did,,,,I knew I had something a bit more than flu or chest infection ,,,that was back in December 2008 ,,,,until ,,,,I got a steering a pain under my bust ,,that wouldn't go away,,,,,it was so bad I dialled 999 ,,,and glad I did ,,,I ended up in intensive care for 10 days with septasyma ,,,caused by pneumonia ,,,,i missed Xmas and new year,,,,but ,,,,with the wonderful care of nurses and doctors at Stafford hospital ,,,,I came home in one piece,,,,the consultant told my family I had been very lucky ,,,,,it was a close call, 

so don't ignore any changes in your symptons ,,,,,,we can't be too careful ,

• Posted

Hello Jude, Sorry to hear about you. Hope your on the mend, Last week my Hubby,(67) who is disabled with Osteo-arthritis, of hips, lower back and knees, also deaf and severely sighted, was not well at all. He now has pluerisy and am getting another Gp out to check him over. I have to care for him, I suffer with my nerves and I am due to go into Hospital for a Hip replacement soon, Hubby has had no choice to cut thes ciggies down as they are doing him no good, so switching him to electronic one asap Hubby has been on amoxicllian antibiotics , and naproxen painkillers, as well as he other meds. I am fearful that we have to act now. Regards Amandah
    • Posted

Well, as my old mum used to say, there's always someone worse off than you and my situation is fairly easy compared to yours.    And thanks, I am feeling heaps better now the antibiotics have kicked in.  I will of course finish the course and then see the gp again to see if I need to take another course, but it feels to me as if we (the gp and I) got the bronchopneumonia in time ........ this time .......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.