Bronchoscopy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I have been quite ill coughing up blood again and also losing weight. I am now booked in for Bronchoscopy as they need to biopsy some modules and one larger one and flush my lungs etc. Has anyone had one before ? I am a bit scared as it has all happened so quickly.

Kirsten

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kirsten,

I have had two bronchocopies due to hemoptysis. I also had some nodules anlthough they did not have to be removed, just observed.

Try not to worry. I think you will be just fine. Nodules are not uncommon and most of the time they are benign.

It might seem scary now, but I think your doctor is being very thorough and after the bronchoscopy you will have a nice cleaned out lung and you will know a lot more.

Really, try not to worry, but wait for the results. I think and hope that you will be find that everything will be just fine.

Hang in there and I will be thinking of you. I know it's not easy, but you can do it.

• Posted

Hi

I have had hemoptysis also and just recently coughed quite a fair bit of blood and a large clot last week and a few weeks ago.

One nodule is 10mm and other smaller ones. He said he will brush ? And also flush my lungs and take biopsies.

The thought of the operation and it going down throat makes me feel ill.

He did say he would have most results on the day but the flushing not straight away.

Since being diagnosed end of November it's really gotten worse.

Glad someone else has had Bronchoscopy.

Thanks so much for replying and the info x

• Posted

Hi

Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply I ended up with pneumonia and am booked in for 23rd feb for the surgery. Still a little scared and what may happen with the biopsies. But thankful there is others who can support and offer advice x

• Posted

I ad a broncosopy last summer, I was really worried about doing it too, but they gave me some drugs and I felt nothing, so it was not bad at all. I did not even have a sore throat next day! And then you will have some good information about what's going on in your lungs.

Karyn

• Posted

Have had another bout of pneumonia so it's been a wait. Booked in for this Tuesday for the surgery so getting slightly nervous x
  • Posted

Hello Kirsten

Please don't get yourself too worked up over the bronchoscopy. I've had one too and, like the other people, it's not that bad. I didn't have my lungs flushed so I can't comment on that. You will feel much better in yourself when you know exactly what's going on and it can be dealt with correctly. Well done your doctor for looking after you.

• Posted

Hi I too had a bronchoscopies . Ask to be sedated and you won't feel or know a thing. I just remember coughing a lot after. Please let us know how you get on . 
    • Posted

Booked in for this coming Tuesday after having had pneumonia again.
  • Posted

I have had numerous bronchocopies.  There is nothing to worry about.

I was always completed sedated and had it done as on out patient procedure at the hospital.You will most likely still be coughing up mucus after, but should be feeling a lot better.

They use tubes to suction and wash out the mucus, but the tubes are not small enough to go real deep into the lungs, so this procedure helps open up the larger airways to allow the small airways to clear.

Hope the biopsy results go well, Beth

• Posted

Hello! I have had a few broncoscopies. I felt actually much better once they flushed the mucus out of my lungs. They give you drugs that calm you down before and you wont care what they do to you. I am a HUGE chicken so I understand. It should be well worth doing especially for the information that can be gained. Good luck and please dont worry. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.