Bronchoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

My husband has had copd for a few years but, apart from annual chest infections i.e. one every winter, has managed well with medication. He picked up a bug in December but, unfortunately, struggled on without going to the GP, and this became more serious. He has had numerous antibiotics but nothing has touched it. Suddenly, last Monday morning he could hardly breathe and was admitted to hospital. An Xray showed he still had the infection, although sputum samples were clear. Since then he has been given intravenous antibiotics but he is still no better. They are now going to do a bronchoscopy on Friday to see what is going on. I am really worried that taking biopsies might make the problem worse (my father had oral cancer and was put through similar tests which actually made the last two years of his life totally miserable as the incisions seemed to spread the disease - I know that sounds crazy, he really deteriorated rapidly following the procedure!) I would be grateful if  anyone else who has had similar treatment could allay my fears. Many thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Hello Ros

    Yes no doubt worrisome.

    However, in this instance my opinion is that it is a good thing he is having this testing done...once known what is causing this then the recommendations can be made.

    Bronchoscopy should not cause further deterioration...in some instances, people do believe testing has caused conditions to become worse, when it has only been a coincidence that the person became more ill afterwards.

    Because your husband has been ill since December and has not improved and in fact has become worse, it seems,I am thinking the doctors fear something more serious is in place.

    Combining the bronchoscopy with perhaps, bloodwork &/or xrays etc can give a more complete picture and point them in a better directions.

    Do let us know how things are going if you are willing.

    Will pray for your husband and yourself and hope this is resolved soon.

    Lill

    Report
    • Posted

      Thank You Lill, it really was the sudden deterioration which was so shocking. Although not well, he was getting on with life, albeit slowly. Then almost overnight he went downhill but no-one seems to know why and after 10 days in hospital no further forward. Fingers crossed.
      Report
  • Posted

    Update - my husband is slightly improved and out of hospital but the bronchoscopy was cancelled as the consultant was off sick!! Now waiting for a new appointment! Will advise the outcome when we have one!
    Report
    • Posted

      Oh NO!

      How disappointing..to have to wait even longer.

      Good thing though to know they felt him well enough to go home.

      I hope the new test date will be soon...do keep us posted Ros

      Lill

      Report
  • Posted

    Well, having been told the bronchoscopy would happen this Friday, as an outpatient, my husband got a call from the consultant's PA yesterday, saying it was cancelled again. The doctor wants to discuss with Steve's original consultant (who is winding down to retirement and won't be back at work for five weeks!). Naturally, Steve is rather fed-up and, after being rather concerned, I had come round to the idea that it was the best option to find out what is going on. I know the medics are not wanting to waste resources, and this may sound selfish, but I do wonder if they realise that it is not just the patient going through all this, but the whole family. We run our own business and I have been carrying it all myself recently - how long I can go on doing this is debatable!!
    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up