Brown patchy discoloration of skin on arm.

Posted , 2 users are following.

On both of my arms I have this brown patchy discoloration of my white skin. People have been asking me what it is but I'm not Sure myself. Can someone help me diagnose this?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How old are you?  Did this patchiness happen very slowly over years or fairly rapidly? is it raised or totally flat and smooth?. Patches anywhere else on your body?
    • Posted

I'm 16 close to 17. I've had it for as long as I can remember. It isn't raised at all it's smooth. I've only really noticed it on my arms.

• Posted

From your descriptions they are called "cafe au lait" spots ,and are  completely harmless. You were probably  born with them and its usually thought to be a genetic trait.  Maybe one of your ancestors had something similar or was generally darker skinned than you. Something to ask your parents.

• Posted

Can i send you a picture of my spots? Can you link me an e-mail? Just to be sure. And I think that my ancestors were darker skinned than me.
    • Posted

You would be better off Googling Cafe au lait spots. There are lots of pictures on the web so you can compare yours.

You may read about Neurofibromatosis.  You havent mentioned any other problems with your health,but if you are concerned after reading about this condition,you must see your doctor.

Birthmarks are often called 'cafe au lait spots' . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.