Brown spots / strands in Semen and constant want to urinate at tip of penis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have noticed brown spots / strands in semen over the last two weeks. From everything I have read, it seems that this is probably blood. Also, I have not paid attention previously, but now notice that I have a feeling of wanting to urinate at the tip of the penis. I don't have any pain when urinating or ejaculating. Both my primary doctor and the urologist are saying that I shouldn't worry about it, and that it should most likely go away on its own. The urine test is not showing anything abnormal. I am 40 year old and noone in my family has had prostate cancer. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions? Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What you mention is not a sign of prostate cancer but perhaps an infection.

Make a note of how often and when you go to pee (time and amount if possible).

Take that info to your doctor.

• Edited

Thanks for your response. You mention that this is not a sign of prostate cancer. Are you able to elaborate? My GP prescribed Ciprofloxacin 500mg for 7 days / twice a day. I finished it yesterday. However, I am still experiencing these symptoms. My GP keeps saying that it's nothing to worry about, and should go away on it's own. As for how often I need to urinate, it's approximately every 1.5-2 hours, and I do pee a certain amount (I don't feel like I have something left/fullness in the bladder). I've read on a few websites that the blood in the semen is a very alarming symptom for my age group (40-45 years old).

• Posted

Brown spots or similar in semen are not indicators of prostate cancer.

Neither is the urge or frequency to pee.

The ciprofloxacin you took is to fight bacterial infection. If the symptoms you mention do not resolve then it is a good bet that you don't have such an infection. I was in a similar situation a few years ago so before jumping the gun, my Dr put me on a repeat course of the Cipro. When that failed to cure my symptoms we knew I did NOT have a bacterial infection.

As for urination, I suggest you look into

(1) Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and

(2) Overactive bladder

Those conditions fit your symptoms better than cancer.

As for brown spots in semen

(1) This could be old blood

(2) Such a change in colour MAY come about from too frequent ejaculation

(3) This could be a sign of STDs - herpes, chlamydia and gonorrhea

I would hold off on the sex say for 2 weeks and during that time get

checked for STDs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.