Bruises

Posted , 4 users are following.

Oct 31,16 they found my PE. I'm on Xarelto. I have bruises all up my right leg lately and I know I have not been hurting myself. And I have been a little more short of breath. Dr gave me a once a day medicated inhaler for asthma and I use it but darn I still get confused with the bruises. They are tender to touch. Suggestions?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I should have the bruises checked out . Are they dark purple sort of patches ? This is usually blood collecting under the skin. Not worth taking any chances. Hope all is ok. 😊

• Posted

Hi Windy,

It's a common side effect with blood thinners, I had the exact same thing happen to me, I was on Xarelto but had to be taken off them due to a side effect, angina chest pain 1 - 2 hours after taking it, I was then put onto Pradaxa and no problems with that, no chest pain after taking it and no more unexplained bruising ( bleeds underneath the soft tissue ) as for the shortness of breath, expect this to last up to 6 months maybe  more, depending on the severity of the PE.

• Posted

That sounds right. I had multiple bilateral PE in August 2016. Doctor said 6-12 months for 90% recovery. About right. Almost back to normal. Back pain but no breathing problems. Just need to get fit.!!!!😊

• Posted

Hi lizzie,

I'm new to the PE scene, I was recently diagnosed as having multiple clots in both lungs. I was actually treating it for a strained calf muscle in left leg and after not improving after a week or so I mentioned it to my GP, he had a quick look and also said  that he thought it was only  a strained calf muscle. about another week later, if that, I had to attend our emergency department with angina chest pain and I was also  complaining about my left leg being swollen and sore to walk on, not to the touch though , The triage nurse checked my leg and actually told me she was more concerned about my leg than my angina pain, to shorten the story I had a contrast CT Scan done and the emergency doctor had told me they had found lots of clots in both lungs and was caused by a DVT in the left calf muscle, next morning the doctor doing rounds had called in to see me and his terminology was as you say multiple clots in both my lungs, he told me what to keep an eye out for , you know complications as sometimes they happen. That's all I know about my PE's, I haven't been told how big, how many in each lung, I know they said multiple but I would kind of like to know exactly how many in each lung.

My GP hasn't any records of size etc etc, just that I have been put on at that time Xarelto and it would be life long, my GP is the one that explained approximate healing times etc etc. I still get breathless from time to time and like you back pain, I'm into my third month after official diagnosis. Not a nice thing to have these PE's .

• Posted

I have found this forum very helpful. Doctors can only pass on information they have studied but not often experienced themselves. Although everyone is different it helps to discuss with similar sufferers. Good luck with your recovery. Little steps and listen to your body. I would have liked a scan to make sure my clots have dispersed but doctor says. "trust me they have gone"!!!!!!. 😊

• Posted

This reply was intended for Lizzie, I s reading all these - she said her octor said "trust me they're gone".  No, don't!  Find a new GP and insist on a contrast study and make sure you get a copy of the report.

?Always get a copy for your own records - even blood tests.

When my 3 months on Xarelto are up in about 3 weeks I will be insisting on a CT to see exactly what is going on.

PE is too awful and dangerous a thing to have anyone guessing.

Its your life that is at stake here.  These things are life threatening!

?Best wishes to all

• Posted

Hi elizabeth, Yes I agree these PE's are life threatening and blood thinners will not remove a blood clot they prevent them from returning, suppose to. From what I have been told the body will naturally heal the clots, generally they will break away into small uninvasive material in which the body can dispose of, but sometimes the clots will stay and scar over.

• Posted

Samuela hi, my understanding is that the clots can & do stay and hopefully scar & stay firm however from what I gathered there is always the possibility (not probability) that a bit can break off and travel.

For me, this is why I plan on insisting on the further CT to know what is/isn't there.

?It's also my understanding that no-one, ie doctors/medical profession, can truly say definitively what clots will & won't do.

It's what they mostly do that is mentioned.

?Regarding the unexplained bruising, last year I was experiencing bad bruising with only a slight knock, but certainly was not on blood thinners.

?I wonder now if some blood disorder somewhere and resulted in clots?  We'll never know, I suppose.

?I feel that being vigilant and ask questions & researching what we can is the way we'll all maybe get, if not answers, at least clues to what to do for our own individual health.

Good luck to all of us.

• Posted

Yes I have read up so much over the last year.😊 I understand from this that the clots either dissolve due to the thinner blood flow. or they scar over. I am on Apixaban for life as they not sure of the cause of PE.. Thanks for all the advise given on this forum it had so helped me through this year. Good health to everyone.😍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.