bruises on arms with fine skin, normal elsewhere.

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have bruises on my arms and I understand this comes from the Predn. though what is confusing me is that my skin on arms from elbow joing down to top of fingers is very fine and like paper and therefore every little nock or bump creates these unsightly red marks. 

Why does this happen only on that part of my body, and my skin is normal to touch and look at on legs, face, back etc?

I have come down in 18mths from 50mgs of Pred. to 7.5mgs, and this phenomenem is becoming worse, I thought it would correct itself being on a lower dose of Predn.

My MOON face is almost back to normal, also my weight.

My inflamatory markers are high once again, though I have very little pain happening now.

thanking you in anticipation.

Track

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just got out of the hospital having had a TiA on Friday. And I have bruises all over me. I always bruise on the arms and get these red marks too. But I even have bruises where they pulled the EKG stickers off and the tape that was holding on the IV, oh and the injection in my stomach to help ward off a DVT is huge. It's ridiculous how I look. Fortunately its winter and other then the arms all of them are covered by clothing.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear you were in the Hospital with TIA, I wish you a speedy recovery, also hope your bruising heals sooner rather than later.

I also have had trouble with bandages pulling off the skin, I found if I wet the bandages

under the shower etc they came off easily.

You must be in the Northern Hemisphere, I am in Oz and we are in summer now, I am very conscience of my arms, using long sleeved blouses which is a must at the moment, though a nuisance.

wishing you a speedy recovery,

Track

• Posted

Try only using plasters for sensitive skin like micropore and always warn the hospital and doctors before a procedure. Track is right, wetting the plasters does help but you can also buy Zoff which the nurse in the surgery uses to ease off plasters gently. They are wet pads sealed in little packets of a kind of oily metholated spirit. I find my bruising never completely disappears and others spontaneously appear on top of old ones, so a pretty sorry sight. Sorry about the TiA, hope you are feeling better.
    • Posted

I had amazing bruising all over my stomach when I had heparin injections! I was later told by a nurse that if you pinch the bit you are injecting into so the area is really hard you will bruise less - I tried it the next time and it did work. Maybe whoever gave you yours needed my nurse to teach them!

Hope all is well - are there further investigations to do?

• Posted

I had to have one more test done as an out patient. I can't remember what they call it but it's a sonogram of the heart with bubbles. And the nurse and the guy doing the sonogram both said it looked like it was flowing nicely even though they're not supposed to say. And so of course the final word will come from the doctor.

They also changed my cholesterol medicine and put me on Plavix because I was already on aspirin and discovered I was pre-diabetic. So I'm on medicine for that. At this point my head is swimming with all kinds of information and diets that I have to do and everything else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.