Bruising after MTX injection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear all,

Are there any injection experts out that who can give me some advise to avoid bruising? I inject my MTX in the upper thigh and it often bruises and lasts weeks. Now that summer is rolling around, I'd really like to avoid running around with big ugly bruises on my legs! I've never had bruising issues with humira, only with methatrexate.

Thanks for the advice!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not sure about MTX as it has been awhile, but injected lots with embrel.

I always prefer to inject off to the side of the abdomen. Grab a small roll of skin while leaning over if you have to. Inject the needle with a quick jab. Then release the skin. I inject very slowly. If you do it quickly it comes out in a fast jet and can cause damage. That is why I avoid the autoinjectors.

If you don't have any roll of skin then eat more.

Justin

• Posted

Not 100% sure but try to ensure the area your injecting is not tight. ie stretch the leg out rather than having the leg bent at the knee. You dont want tension on the muscle where your injecting. Try to relax the area thats being injected.
    • Posted

Your very welcome. Good luck with your treatment. Btw MTX is available in tablet form. Not sure if you have tried or been offered it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.