Bruising, cuts that don't heal

Posted , 15 users are following.

I bruise at the slightest touch, my skin cuts so easily and takes a VERY long tie to heal.  I had to go to the MD yesterday for an infection from a "minor"  cut when I took some tape off of another cut.  I'm down to 10mg. pred. having tapered. Does anyone else have this problem?

Another question:  Does this problem improve when the dose is lowered?    Help, I'm getting desperate.  I shall certainly appreciate your ;comments!  Elinor

0 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well, I am in the same ranks stated here. I had ten on lower doses, but had to be increased up to 60 mg due to TA developing in the fall. No difference on bruising. I don't even have to bump. Cleaned and scrubbed floors ( with mop, mind you) but arms looked just like I had BIG measles!  They left quicker than usual. I also take LONG time to heal, and band aids are a NO NO! I am in US, and we have a salve, used on a cows udders, if needed. Called " Bag Balm". It works very good for me, it helps aid healing. I spread on my forearms before bed each nite and think skin is thickening??? Mine get infected too.  Right now I have a horrible sore under tongue, again caused by this immune system. BUT I WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO  NOT LOSE MY VISION, AND BE RELATIVELY TO LIVE DOME QUALITY  LIFE!  I couldn't even walk for months past summer, or dress etc. Any Pred side effect...guess who ? OHHHH yeah!  I am female, was active, healthy, for 73 years, May 2015, YOU GOT IT!  Choose your priority!
    • Posted

Thanks for suggestion

I had thought I had tried them all but

Bag Balm is one I didn't try. It's on its way😄

Audrey

• Posted

Bag Balm huh?   I'll check it out.   PA at dermatologist office

told me to put coconut oil on my arms at night.  It seems to

help with elasticity.  Bruises are smaller and fewer.  Also

put Arnica Gel on bruises and they go away in about half the

time.

When I have blood taken I have to sit for a few minutes applying

pressure to the spot and that seems to take care of bleeding

under the skin.....

• Posted

I would have no idea where I would buy any of that....if you

mean what I think you mean.....don't want to fool with it anyhow.

• Posted

Faye, I have to use the symbols because of the automatic filter.  I eat h--p seeds on my cereal.  I drink a tablespoon of the oil every morning.  It is very healthy, in terms of omega 6 and 3 it probably has the best balance of any plant source.  It is completely not like any psychotropic drug.  It's more equivalent to sesame seeds, and it is very annoying that it can't even be mentioned on this forum.  Unlike dangerous pharmaceuticals.
    • Posted

Hemp has been mentioned on posts recently without them disappearing - just trying to see what happens...

Faye - as Anhaga says, not psycotropic at all. They use both oil and flour in cooking here in Italy. Makes wonderful gnocchi, a very delicate green and totally yummy.

• Posted

Yup Anhaga - went straight through. Possibly the moderator has desensitised the filter.
    • Posted

Hi ;:Judy, I do hope things ;improve for you,  I'm going to try bag balm and some of the others mentioned here.  Good luck!
    • Posted

I believe you can buy hemp oil on Amazon and also food shops. It is supposed to be really good nutrient wise although I have never tried it. It reminds of when I was being interviewed on TV and I was sitting outside next to what was an enormous hemp plant which I assume must have grown from the bird seed I had put out. I am not sure how many people noticed! 
    • Posted

I too have Bag Balm on the way.....After reading the blurb on

Amazon I remember when Lanolin came out and was the

going thing for dry skin.   I'm looking forward to trying it.  I've

been using coconut oil but it's so greasy....hoping the bag

balm is not.

• Posted

Diprobase and Double Base are used in the UK for dry skin - they are just paraffin oil and virtually noting else. I think Diprobase is available in the US - but the really good thing is I find it isn't greasy after a minute or two.
    • Posted

Good to know!  Thanks!  I had a post filtered recently, unfortunately can't remember what I was responding to.  Did not mention any authors or book titles, just said there were books about whatever it was (probably vitamin K2 or osteoporosis) and it was filtered.  If only the original post remained visible to the poster so that we could edit it and try again....
    • Posted

"If only..." that's exactly what I keep saying!

It is quite interesting how it works really. It doesn't even have to be a word in its own right. I put up a post that included the name of a town in the east of the UK: Sc"*thorpe. the edited bit in the middle is a very naughty word so it was stopped! Every so often a post of mine is stopped and I sit there wondering what on earth I said. redface

Wonder what ptolemy said...

• Posted

I just mentioned the h*mp word twice and Amazon!!
    • Posted

Ah - the combo probably suggested you were floggin it! Better out the asterick in different places next time wink
    • Posted

Faye, have you tried shea butter?  It is sometimes an ingredient in skin preparations.  I was able to buy a tub of it directly from the pharmacy.  I think it helps skin to kind of remake itself. 
    • Posted

I did buy some Jergens' Shea Butter but it was pretty greasy.

I just don't like stuff that lays on top of the skin and is so

oily looking.....that's  "yuck" for me.  I'm hopeful about this

Bag Balm.  One use and my arms look a little better today.

Fingers crossed......

• Posted

The shea butter I got was just that, not a commercial mixture.  I used it at night, although I don't remember that it was any greasier than anything else.  Though you are talking to someone who has used everything from various edible oils to Vaseline to deal with dry skin over the years!  confused
    • Posted

I ordered bag balm thru Amazon. It will arrive Friday
    • Posted

My husband ordered it from Amazon; it came in two days.  I'm using it and will soon see the results, hopefully  $8.00.
    • Posted

I'm on my way to Amazon right now.    I have Prime so should

arrive in two days also.  I already bought the other book.

So aggravating that I can't remember what the title is.

Oh Well,  I'm old.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.