Bruising while on Humira

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I have been on Humira for a couple of months now. It has happened with the RA symptoms however I noticed that I am Bruising for no reason , Also I get blood spots on my arms. Has anyone has had the symptoms while on this drug?

I was on Enbrel before for about four years  no side effects. My insurance stopped covering it, 

Has anybody had these side effects before? I also wake up with a headache . Can it also be from Humira? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Downey girl, I was diagnosed with RA 12 years ago. I was on Enbrel for 8 years with no side effects, and my rheumatologist recently switched me to Humira. I've only been on the Humira for a month, but I have literally had migraines at least 3 times a week and headaches everyday. I also have strange unexplained bruising.  I haven't talked to my dr about it yet, but it's good to know that I'm not the only one having these side effects on Humira. 

• Posted

Good morning lisa06461, I have the same symptoms , now that you mentioned, That explains my headaches that I was wondering why I'm getting headaches at waking up , and also the bruising. , Yes, its good to know that this are side effects of the Humira. I have to talk to my DR about it. I really think I should go back to Enbrel , but my Reumi said my insurance only approves Humira. sad. Let me what your Dr says, and I will do an update here once I go to my Dr. Thank you for your response. Its very helpful.  Take care. 

• Posted

I am also getting the morning headaches. I will def let u know what I find out. I was becoming immune to the Enbrel so my doc was trying something new. I go back to the dr in 3 months. If u go before me, please keep me posted in what ur doc says. Stay strong and don't let it get u down. Have a great day!!

• Posted

Dear lisa06461, I h ave some bad news for my self,I just call to make an appointment with the Rheumatologist and to my not so surprise  (this has happened a few times already while on the California Care plan ),my Rheumatologist is no longer taking my insurance. I'm getting so tired of changing Drs. No one can see or follow up  my progress. This is so frustrating . Now I don't now how long I have to wait for the new appointment. May be months.. I don't know what to do , I don't have the money to pay the full visit and labs. I'm sick of this already. 

let me know how your appointment goes. Sorry , I think I needed to talk to someone about it. 

have an awsome day!!

• Posted

Dear Downey girl, that's terrible! I've dealt with so many insurance companies over the years and it's such a headache. Not only are u in pain, but u also have to deal with all the bull that comes along with the insurance company nonsense.  I really hope u get things worked out. 

• Posted

Do you take prednisone? If so, that is probably your culprit. I found I was bruising and bleeding very easily but I did it on Humira and enbrel and now I'm on Zeljanx and still doing it. I occasionally take prednisone to knock down pain. The doctor told me I'm just getting old but this did not start until I was on Humira then continued with Embrel and now Xeljanx. I think it's a mix of the biologics and prednisone.

• Posted

Hiriver22,  no I do not take prednisone, I do  take naproxen a bath every day to help with the pain ,  but I didn't Bruce while I was on Enbrel plus I think Enbrel work a lot better for me than Humira.  Damn fortunate thing is that now I have to wait to get another new rheumatologist, I've been jumping from one to another one because of the insurance this is so sad I'm so upset .  Baut... well at least I have an insurance that I can kind of pay  . 

• Posted

Im sorry  for the miss spelling, I don't know what happened my phone went wild  anyone post my comment and then when it  posted the words were changed .  Course I didn't mean to say all those things in there wow 

• Posted

LOL you gotta watch that spell correct on phones! I guess it could be Humira causing this, I don't know what else would. I don't think RA itself causes bruising

• Posted

Hey Downey girl, I just googled bruising and RA and this is what it said "Autoimmune diseases like RA can cause your blood platelet count to dip below the normal level. Essentially, due to RA, your body uses or destroy platelets faster than they're produced, which can cause you to bruise more easily. Certain medications, like prednisone, are also known to increase risk of bruising."  So we both know now!!

• Posted

it's also listed on the serious side effects of Humira but my doctors weren't concerned in the least bit.

• Posted

Absolutely! I get the spots on my arms  a lot lately. I can just bump my arm and ahuge blood spot will appear.

Im on Humira for psoriasis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.