Bruses around knee

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am almost 4 months post op from total knee replacement. My knee is still very sore and I have light bruses around my knee. Is this normal? I have no trouble walking but do have pain when getting up from sitting. I have had both of my hips replaced but it's true the knee is much harder. My other knee is bone on bone but I will never do it again.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I would pop along to GP and ask. Bruising is normal, but at 4 months post op, seems a bit surprising.
    • Posted

Good idea, I do need to have it checked out. Maybe I'm too hard on my new knee.

• Posted

I'm 15 weeks post op and when I stopped Tramadol I started taking Tylenol PM too. It does work. I still do have pain when I first stand and my left knee is none on bone too. Taking it one day at a time.

Broken sleep is a fact of life with KRS. I just know it will get better😍

• Posted

I didn't expect the pain and bruises this far out. It is hard

• Posted

Not sure about "bruising" but at four months, the knee can still look swollen and a bit red...and feel warm.  The next uplifting point is about 6 months when most of that is gone though some minor swelling may still be present.  Of course, if you overwork the knee at any time, it will swell up on you.  Could take up to a year to stop that from happening.

I'm 15 months post-op and feel great...also need knee #2.  I felt the same way early on about the second knee.  Now, I'll get it done down the road a bit.  You just need time and separation from the original experience.  Living with that knee pain for the rest of your life is just not possible.

• Posted

Good to know it will take time. Thank you for sharing your experience and to know his won't last forever.

• Posted

I'm at 4 months and no bruising. Knee is starting to look like the other knee!

• Posted

There is no longer or shorter.  It will take as long as it takes for you and you alone.  It's different for everyone.  We talk all the time about expectations (give them up) and timetables (they are for a general population and NOT specific for any individual person).  Don't compare your recovery to anyone else's.  Own YOUR recovery...be more Zen: "I'll be better when I'm better."

• Posted

I'll remember that. I'm almost 71 so might not heal as fast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.