buccal graft urethroplasty

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 15 days post-op buccal graft urethroplasty. i had a kidney reflux and a infant which lead to a improper catheterization at two months old. My mother suspects thats what did it, she says my flow was never good after that. At five years old i had complete retention and needed a emergency SP tube. They did a DVIU and dialtion. I was good until i was eleven and it happened again. They did the same approach. Basically after that my flow was around 10ml per second. My pediatric urlogist recommended i wait until my anatomy was done growing and we monitor is closely until then. it stayed slow and steadily got worse, hence my new discussion. I am now 23 years old BTW.  my stricture was in the bulbar urethra, and they used the perineal approach. they used 4cm of graft. My follow-up appt is three weeks after surgery, THREE WEEKS with the damn catheter. there going to do a pericatheter urethrogram to check if there is any leaks in the graft where it meets the urethra on either end. if there is they have to leave the catheter in another week. Has anyone heard of the catehter being in longer than three weeks? i dont know if i could stand another week. i would be more than happy to answer anyones questions as it relates to the urethroplasty aswell. i had a very hard time finding someone to relate.

​thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My son is going to have this procedure after 4 years of 3 monthly urethurotomys. I was told catheter for 1 month , op and then catheter for another month. I hope this procedure stops your problem. Karen.
    • Posted

Catheter is the worst part for me, i really hate them. lack of sleep is really catching up with me. Best of luck to your son. i wish him a successful surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks Hunter. The worst part is he is 27 and special needs. Only has the mind of a 6 year old. Everytime he has a catheter in every min its "Take it out now" over and over. His was caused from a catheter being inserted for hernia op that they put in roughly.
    • Posted

Wow, thats heartbreaking for me to read. I can remember going threw this at five years old having a catheter and saying the same thing. Sounds like the catheter will be the toughest part for you aswell. All you can do is what mothers do best, stay strong for him. Whats your sons name? i will keep him in my prayers.
    • Posted

His name is Benjamin Wilde but we call him Ben. Thanks for that. Where are you from? We are in Melbourne Australia.
  • Posted

Good lock brother..

Execuse me I have a question..

What is the cause of this stricture?

Do u had any congenital abnormality caused the stricture.. or it was caused by the catheter?

• Posted

Hello there..

I am from USA new york but I moved to florida. I have a few questions, 

I dont know if I should ask u here or personally.

Please let me know thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.