Budesonide for Crohn’s

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, has anyone had any experience with budesonide for getting a flare under control? What type of side effects does it come with? Is it effective?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Aimee, I've been on budesonide now for 7 weeks for a flare after being in remission for 40yrs. I have not had any side effects but I will say I was placed on the drug for a ulcer bleeding from the lower part of illeium and I'm still bleeding. I never new I was in a flare until the GI was doing routine exam trying to figure why hemoglobin was so low (I'm anemic, been anemic all my life, I'm 61) Although I didn't feel any symptoms of flare, a little tummy ache now and then but nothing serious. So GI put me on Humira so flare wouldn't get worse, but I went off for dental surgery, I started bleeding while on Humira for 8 weeks on and off, then while off for awhile bleeding got worse, GI put me in Hospital did some test found ulcer culprit for the bleed, the Budesonide hasn't helped still bleeding, no other signs of a flare except a little nausea. No side effects from Budesonide. Hope you have better results.

Sorry so lengthy I'm like my daughter I'm never short on words. Haha

• Posted

Hello Aimee, I've been on budesonide now for 7 weeks for a flare after being in remission for 40yrs. I have not had any side effects but I will say I was placed on the drug for a ulcer bleeding from the lower part of illeium and I'm still bleeding. I never new I was in a flare until the GI was doing routine exam trying to figure why hemoglobin was so low (I'm anemic, been anemic all my life, I'm 61) Although I didn't feel any symptoms of flare, a little tummy ache now and then but nothing serious. So GI put me on Humira so flare wouldn't get worse, but I went off for dental surgery, I started bleeding while on Humira for 8 weeks on and off, then while off for awhile bleeding got worse, GI put me in Hospital did some test found ulcer culprit for the bleed, the Budesonide hasn't helped still bleeding, no other signs of a flare except a little nausea. No side effects from Budesonide. Hope you have better results.

Sorry so lengthy I'm like my daughter I'm never short on words. Haha

• Posted

I've been taking Budesonide for 6 months and have had 3 flare ups with bleeding and some pain due to blockage. I can't say I've experienced any side effects.

These are some of the potential side effects that I found on webmd.

Entocort Side Effects

Entocort EC (budesonide) is a steroid used to treat mild to moderate Crohn's disease. Entocort EC is available in generic form. Common side effects of Entocort EC include:

nausea,

heartburn,

stomach pain,

indigestion,

headache,

thinning of the skin,

easy bruising,

runny or stuffy nose,

cough,

sore throat,

muscle pain,

skin rash, or

changes in your menstrual periods.

unusual tiredness,

vision problems,

easy bruising or bleeding,

puffy face,

unusual hair growth,

mental/mood changes (such as depression, mood swings, agitation), or

slow wound healing

• Posted

I had 2 or 3 months on budesonide with no side effects. Most of this steroid is absorbed by the gut so it's generally low on impact to rest of body. I found it helped a bit but that could be the general feeling of extra health anyone would receive from steroids. My current Dr reckons budesonide doesnt do all that much - its lower strength than Prednisone. Best to try it and see, good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.