Budesonide Rectal Foam

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, i was diagnosed with UC in July 2015 and I'm currently experiencing my first real flare.

I saw my GP on tuesday and he prescribed a 2 week course of Budesonide - Budenofalk Rectal Foam.

My symptoms have so far only made mild improvements.

Has anyone used the same meds and can give me an idea of how long they can take to work?

I'm not desperate for remission, well i am, but right now I'd settle for it being manageable.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Depends on the acuteness of the flare. An acute attack can take 6-8 weeks to subside. Budenofalk isn't meant to be used for longer than that.

Your doctor has prescribed a two week course which suggests the flare is mild to moderate and he's expecting it to be controlled in two weeks.

Bear in mind:

a) that foam is only going to reach the rectum/sigmoid colon which is where a flare will start

b) it's efficacy will be hampered if the bowel is not emptied sufficiently before the foam is applied.

c) if the inflammation/ulceration has extended into the descending colon, you will need oral meds.

Persist with the treatment for another week and see where your are then.

• Posted

thanks for your response.

can i also use my pentasa suppository at night once i've administered the budenofalk?

• Posted

I'm not a doctor just another UC sufferer.

As I take oral steroids (Prednisolone) and oral Octasa at the same time (Pentasa is a similar 5ASA to Octasa) then logic tells me it would be OK to use both topically too but please check with your doctor to make sure and see if he suggests leaving a certain amount of time between applying each.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.