building bone

Posted , 8 users are following.

A year ago I broke my wrist, the dexa scan showed i was just over the line, and

was prescribed alendronic acid. I couldn't take the meds the side effects were horrific.

I have had a year to build the bone up and with exercise and supplements the new dexa and blood tests have shown that I have managed to build the enough bone to take me

out of the zone. Just want to let you know that that without meds and bit of effort i'm proud of what i've achieved

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, that's great that through exercise and supplements you have managed to do rebuild bone, well done  - I haven't received my meds yet but am really thinking twice about taking them at all - I tend to get side effects from most medications and from what you and others have posted about Alendronic Acid, this won't be any different. Thanks for giving me hope that you can get better via natural methods.

• Posted

Thats brilliant . I also declined the aa and i am doing it with diet supplements and exercise and have another dexa in august which will be 2 years . Mine is 3.7 spine 1.7 hip. What supplements are you using .
    • Posted

I  use calcium -magnesium -zinc, glucosime hydrocholide, selenium, silicea, choroom picolinaat, kalium and b 12. omega 3. Not all the supplements are for oesteo, i'm also vegan so need more than most. Would be intersesting to know which supplements you are taking

• Posted

AM . Chromium 500mcg

K2-7 600mcg nutrizing

Beta carotene 300mcg

Folic 800mcg

B12 500mcg

B6 50mg

K1 100ug

At lunch ,calcium 600mg with vit d3 125iu

Evening , magnesium 250mg and silica plus .

Dropped caffeine 18 months ago (was a coffeeholic ) use teeccino herbal coffee but now use 2 thirds herbal to a third coffee . , train every day weights and hiit and also teach classes and spinning .

Looking forward to my next dexa they have said August this year as it will be 2 years as they said you probably won't see much difference after a year !!

Diet is high in protein around 40% , if you like a good read try Susan E Brown better bones better body and the acid alkaline food guidesame author , had dialogue with a poster on here when 1st diagnosed he past on some great info including the supplement spreadsheet and links to many other bone related material , can't thank him enough . Since August 2016 I am physically much stronger and have worked tirelessly on core engagement within my exercise .

• Posted

thanks for your reply  wow ur really going for it.  well done
  • Posted

Please can you tell me your approximate age. I am 62 with dexa scores of -3.4 spine and -1.8 hip. I am planning to use natural methods and inspired by your achievement and wondering if it’s still possible at my age.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Ange

I'm 59 years young i'm sure with a lot of adjustments you can manage it. Walking is a good way to stimulate

your bone making I also use calcium -magnesium -zinc, glucosime hydrocholide, selenium, silicea, choroom picolinaat, kalium and b 12. Not all the supplements are for oesteo, i'm also vegan so need more than most

i've also started eating more products containing calcium.

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks that’s very helpful.

I have always done a lot of walking so I was surprised at my low scores . I am just starting to introduce supplements and start strength training so fingers crossed! Will keep you posted.

• Posted

That's brilliant!  Can you share your successive DXA t-scores?  I improved from -2 to -1.6 in a year.  Was recommended drugs in spite of first score not being OP level because I've been taking prednisone, but now they no longer recommend the drugs. 😉

• Posted

in one year i've gone from -2.5 to 2.4  they said they would have been happy if i had stayed the same

but were impressed with the improvement this takes me into oesteoperinia and out of oesteoporosis your scores are really amazing

• Posted

That is brilliant and so pleased for you.

I’ve just tried the Alendronic again yesterday. Got side effects within hours. Felt really rough a lot of the afternoon and then in waves. Now I’m feeling below par or a bit under the weather. I really don’t want this every week, even if it’s only for a couple of days. It’s my 3rd time of trying. First time as I said was horrendous. 

I have been doing lots of things to build the bone up but I do have the hinderence of the anastrazole depleting bone density 1-3 times quicker than normal. Praying mine will be only in the 1% and I can keep things on an even keel. Will have to look further into AA helping to stop breast cancer recurrence going into the bones. If it’s only minimal it might be enough for me to not worry too much.

Thank you all for your help.

Love and hugs

Frances xxx

• Posted

I just saw this post. Well done to you for improving your tscores. It gives hope to so many of us trying to do what you have achieved. Hope you continue to improve.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.