Bulge in side

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm getting over the Shingles rash.  I have developed a large bulge in my side where I had the rash.  I experienced severe pain in this area just before the breakout and stll have the pain now.  I was told by a non professional that it is a shingles bump. Is it related to shingles or is it a hernia

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

I am a nurse practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years.

There is no such thing as a "Shingles bump."

Are you male or female?

How old are you?

What is your occupation?

Where is the bulge? Is it in the groin or umbilical area? Is it more prevalent

When you stand?

When you cough?

Is it reducible?

Is it getting larger?

Do you feel more pressure or pain when you cough?

When you stand?

If it is in the groin area and the answers are yes, you certainly could have a hernia.

You need to see a physician for diagnosis and treatment.

Please let me know how you are doing regarding this. I hope you have recovered from the shingles.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry, I am always delighted to read your great posts and know you are doing all for us 'post shingles' people. Thank you.

Can you tell me when you begin to take the valciclovar or  other meds when you symptoms begin.   I'm now in an exhausted stage, even earaches, light ones, all muscles v. painful and pain medication doesn't seem to work long .  I discontinued the Gabapentin as I was traveling from the UK to Calif. and now the doctor wants me to restart while there with an  family member undergoing surgery but she never prescribes for pain.   Can you send me your doctors details to contact? Is this permitted on this site?

• Posted

Avey,

I don't think my physician would do be able to treat you as he is on the Atlantic Coast and California is on the Pacific Coast 3000 miles

(1800km) away. Which city or town will you be staying and I can give you ideas where to go. If you can remind me how far you are from your initial episode, the location of the rash, and if you have any recurrences, and other questions, I will be happy to help guide you.

By law, physicians cannot treat people whom they have never seen over the phone.

When are you traveling?

Best regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

I've been going to a Dermatoligist for the last month since I broke out with the Shingles.  I showed the told the doctor that I've had the shingles for the last 40 years in one spot.  The doctor told me the spot I've had for 40 yrs. isn't  the shingles but another type of Herpies.  The doctor told me that you only get the shingles once or twice in your life and rarely more than twice.  The doctor also told me the large bump, on my right side just under my rib cage, approx. 6" wide and 2" to 3" high in a circular figure, was a hernia.. I went to a general surgeon and he said he has seen numerous cases like this and it is generally call the shingles bump, not a hernia.  The nerves or nerve controlling the muscle has been damaged by the shingles not letting the muscle work.  He also said the bump may go away in 6 months, a year to a year and a half or never.  I still have a lot of nerve pain in my side and all the areas I had the shingles rash and blisters.  My lower abdomin also is experiencing a bulge when I strain and it's not a hernia.   

I'm a 70 year old happlie retired male.

I'm a 70 yr. old male, happly retired, 

• Posted

Dear Wagadoddle,

The physician who informed you that you can only get shingles once or twice is abysmally ignorant. There are two types of Herpes. Herpes Zoster or Shingles is caused by the Varicella or chicken pox virus.

Herpes Simplex is a sexually transmitted disease. There is Type I-Orally virus and Type II-Genital virus. They are on mucus membranes.

I have recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my ear and eye. I was tested for antibodies against Herpes Zoster-Shingles and Herpes Simplex. I tested positive for Herpes Zoster-Shingles for acute and chronic Herpes Zoster-Shingles after having the episode at least 20 times, by then. My antibodies for Herpes Simplex were negative. My assumption is these physicians have not read on the latest regarding Herpes Zoster-Shingles. Perhaps you should find a younger, better informed physician.

• Posted

Dear Mary,

I've also done some research.  There are 8 different types of Herpes.  Herpes Zosters Shingles is only one of the Herpes virusus.   By the way,

my doctor is a young female doctor that works with in a research group.  I'm not 100% confident in her since she misdoiagnoised my shingles bulge.

• Posted

Dear W.

What I should have said is that only Herpes Zoster and Herpes Simplex are the only two that cause similar types of rashes. Yes, there are eight types of Herpes viruses. They cause Epstein Barr, Cytomegalovirus, Kaposi Sarcoma, Fifth Disease, etc, but I doubt that you have the accompanying symptoms of these diseases.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Wagadoddle

I had shingles in my right hip a year ago and the first thing I noticed after the rash appeared was a swelling of the whole area which didn't go down till after the acute phase (10 days or so), so I think it's entirely normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.