Bulking agent

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi 

My consultant had recommended me having the bulking agent to cure my stress incontinance.

Anyone got any advice advice on this as to whether it had worked or not.

Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

i had TVT done 2 years ago that never worked.  My surgeon recommended Macroplastique.  I had second opinion that recommended bulking as well.  Second opinion told me it’s just a temporary fix.  Surgeon tried to tell me it would cure me and I “might” need it a second time.  After surgeon lied to me about mesh I don’t wAnt him touching me.  Bulking has been around awhile but different ones have been pulled off the market for migrating and complications.  Second opinion said I had a 50 percent chance for improvement with it.  I haven’t had it done.  I’ve gone to pelvic floor PT with no improvement as well.  My Physical therapist has said she has seen it work for some and not at all for others.  I hope it works for you.  Please keep us updated if you find something that works!

• Posted

After all the medications both RX and OTC, I tried PTSN therapy, which is like electrical accupuncture-type stimulation of the bladder nerve with no significant success. So finally let my urologist do what she originally wanted: to insert an interstim device via minor surgery and it has been a Godsend. Not perfect, but man oh man what difference.

Recommend trying it if eligible.

• Posted

Hi.Ive had it done twice now,only last a wk both times,saw my consultant on Tues,it was a big decision to make,im having surgery called Abdominal Colposupension;im not looking forward to it,but i need something doing can't carry on any longer no life.So im down for Emergency in about 6wks.I had a lump removed from my urethra tube & i was like a tap turned on.Hope you soon get sorted

• Posted

I have an annoyingly positive attitude: grateful there is at least SOMETHING to try and look forward to the gift of possible improvement. The alternative of being bummed and discouraged all the time only makes things worse. 

Mine is far from perfect; still getting a bunch of soaked pads at the end of the day, but gratefully accept it in comparison to when it was so bad I asked about a catheter. Going out and exercising again!

Janet I send positive thoughts in your direction. Best, best, best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thankyou. Not looking forward to it at all !!!!!!

Hope the wks pass quickly,8wks doing NOTHING,then 4wks till completely healed .

Jan

• Posted

I asked for a catheter too...thats how desperate we have become.  I cant take much more of this.  One urologist doesnt do the Interstim...everyone wants to do Botox but I dont feel comfortable enough with myself to be self cathetering.  Today I asked for anxiety medication because I am so upset and depressed...I just cant do this aymore sadsad
  • Posted

I think it all depends on how incontinence you are, my bladder was stressful,& over active,but worse since i had my lump removed.Everybody is different.so im not looking forward to my opp.but you try anything to avoid surgery.but i've no other option now but to have Colposuspension.8wks to do NOTHING.Then another 4wks till completely healed,no point in trying to do anything &undoing what you've had do.

Good luck with what you are having. Jan

• Posted

Best of luck Janet45645. I hope all goes well for you!
  • Posted

I avoided surgery until nothing else worked. Better, but still in process of trying to find the right program. 

Just saw movies today and yesterday - peed three times during each. Far from perfect yet still better than original.

Best of luck to you, Janet!

• Posted

I had bulkamid injected into urethra near bladder neck two weeks ago and so far no leakage. Unfortunately I have been in pain ever since and on second course of antibiotics for cystitis. Anyone else suffered pain as result of nerve irritation? I am worried that this will just be another addition to the daily pain I carry as a fibromyalgia sufferer.

• Posted

Hi Jo, I just had the first stage of interstim implanted. It was yesterday, November 12th and today I called the rep at Medtronic and he said it takes two days to start seeing results. It has already helped with the pain. I was diagnosed with intersitial cystitis and pelvic floor dysfunction after a foley catheter was unnecessarily inserted me and since the infection I have been searching for answers for over 3 years. This happened in my late 20's and I am now in my early 30's. I am a male so I got run around with the diagnosis of chronic prostatitis for quite some time. My question is if you have any idea what the exactly the sacral nerves have to do with the interstim device. The doctor who is very good and has done countless procedures like this said that my sacral nerves were functioning at a very low frequency and that they adjusted them with the surgery and will maintain them with the interstim. I really don't know how all this happened from a UTI, but I really wanna get back on track to my career and life. Thank you for any advice. If you can please tell me about your experience with interstim. I have to wait another two weeks for the permanent device to be installed.

• Posted

Had the Medtronic interstim inserted three years ago; BIG improvement though far from perfect. Just had the upgraded version inserted and so far so good. Still a bit of leakage (SUI) and urologist recommends urethra bulking agent. Awaiting insurance authorization and would love to hear from anyone who's had it done. Also more than happy to answer questions about my experience. Love and thanks to all.

• Posted

Hi jo98248

Did you ever end up doing the bulking or find something else that worked? Hope you found something that works for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.