Bulky ovary - any advice gratefully received

Posted , 6 users are following.

Dear ladies, any advice/help/thoughts, very gratefully received.

About a year ago I had intermittent groin discomfort - not pain. The GP said she thought it was muscular as when she moved my leg at certain way it hurt more. So glad of that news, I went my merry way.

However, over last couple of months I have decided to get fit and so started short burst of 'power walking'. This caused excruciating pain in the hip, which I ignored and carried onwalking. The pain went but then came back in both hips as a dull ache, but was accompanied by the groin pain again in left groin. Saw another GP who said it seemed like ovarian pain to her.

Just had ultrasound, and she did not give me any info but said to her assistant, LO (left ovary I assumed 5 point something) and RO (2 point something). She would not tell me if anything there but 3 days later GP calls to arrange an appointment. By now I have convinced myself I am dying so told GP I couldn't wait a week to get results and she rang me back to say, RO has some small cysts but LO was 'bulky' and not sure what that was so needed to refer me for a scan.

My blood tests were all normal - no sign of the ovarian cancer marker but reading online I don't think that seems to matter much. Earliest scan I can get is 1 month from now.

In the meantime, I am going quietly mad and worried to death. Since seeing GP pain on both sides seems to be worse (but only when I think about it!!!!), I have lower back pain, but have sciattica anyway, but no other symptoms. Anybody any idea what a bulky ovary is? I am 50 by the way and not had a period for 3 - 4 months and defo menopausal. Please help. thanks in advance. x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kellers

I understand your worry and will try to reassure you.

I am 76 and have 6cm complex cyst in my left ovary. i ahve now had the CTI Scan last last week and my appointment regarding outcome is on this Monday.

My advice based on myself and of reading online all about cysts etc,

Cysts are very common and cause symptons inc pain in groin back ache nausea hips top of legs etc

Until you have results try and not to worry as i did and like most on this forum i suspect will be benign as i hope mine is. These cyst could have been their for many years and only if theyt start causing pain that they become noticed

You have now got the ball rolling so things will start to happen and keep ringing chasing up etc best of luck and try not to worry easy to say I know but nothing confirmed yet xx

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to respond.  I suppose my worry is that they didn;t say it was a cyst - they are not sure what it is - just a bulky ovary.  However, I do know that I worry about everything health wise and that I am driving myself mad and not helping myself at all.  Good luck with your results Monday - let me know how you get on and thanks so much for taking the time to get in touch.  xx
    • Posted

Hi again

Bulky ovary means cyst mine is bulky they call it complex cyst

Yes i worry health wise as well . Its been 27 days since i started with doctors so all in all I guess been pretty quick

they are such a common thing and more than likely benign so try not to worry. i will let know you what they say monday xx

• Posted

Really - wish they would just say cyst then!

I expect you will worry but try to enjoy the weekend and nice weather. Thanks again. x

• Posted

Hi I was wondering if you would be so kind to tell me the outcome?

I am 36 and have breast cancer, CT scan showed bulky ovaries and now I'm even more worried. I need ultrasound but have to wait. Had blood tests done yesterday.

Thank tou xxxxx

Hope yours was all ok xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.