Bump at End of Incision?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Recently I've noticed that I have a small, hard bump under the skin at the end of one of my incisions. In the middle of the bump is a black dot. I can't figure out what it is and I was hoping someone could help me. I attached a picture.. the bump is right at the bottom of the scar. It's much more noticeable in person. I don't have any scar tissue build up anywhere on any of my scars.

It's hard to say if I have any pain when I touch it becasue that area is numb. Also, I know a lot of people get bumps from their dissolvable stitches, but I had regular stitches and they've been out for weeks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am seeing my surgeon for mine tomorrow, I'll let you know what happens x
    • Posted

Oh that's so similar to mine! But yes, let me know. I'm seeing my surgeon on Wednesday.
    • Posted

Mine is a cyst. He gave me two options. Hard massage in hope to pop it or have it surgically taken out. I don't know about yours but any pressure is painful so I opted for surgery. He said it's a 10 minute procedure and only 3 days with heavy bandages. And recovery should be 2 weeks at the very most
    • Posted

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. It must be disappointing to need an additional procedure on top of what you've already had, even if it's minor. I hope it goes well for you. There's a good possibility mine could also be a cyst, so I might be in the same boat as you after Wednesday.
    • Posted

Thank you, I'm ok. I've known about the lump for the 6 weeks but I thought it was a screw head so have expected a third op for a while now. My only concern is I work in a school so unless I can get it done before September I will have to wait till half term.
  • Posted

Hi it may be a bit of stitch pushing out I had small piece come out with scab. Had small hole but healed fine now
    • Posted

That's strange... so I guess that would mean when I had my stitches removed they missed a piece of the string?
  • Posted

I think I had the same thing.  In my case it was the end of the stitch, i.e. the stitch had been left too long and was poking up through the skin.  It was surprisingly irritating.
    • Posted

This bump is completely smooth though, there's nothing sticking out of my skin, at least not at this point. Hopefully it doesn't start to irritate me.
  • Posted

When I gently pressed around the top of the bump I had, with a small black dot in the middle, the end of the stitch poked up through the skin, so I knew it was the stitch, but I wouldn't like to say that you have the same thing.
    • Posted

I saw my surgeon today and he said it probably is a leftover suture that's still in my skin. He said just to leave it alone. I'm hoping it doesn't start poking out and driving me crazy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.