Bumping dosage back down to 10mg from 15 mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on 10mg dosage of Escitalopram for 5 weeks for generalized anxiety and panic attacks (no depression).  After about two and a half weeks of really bad increased anxiety, upset stomach, and zero appetite, the side effects started to subside and for about two weeks I felt somewhat better, but still had a little bit of lingering anxiety.  So during my check in with my psychiatrist last week, we decided to up the dosage to 15 mg. 

I took my 10th dose of 15 mg today and since upping the dosage I have had the same side effects, but not as intense as start-up, maybe a 7 out of 10 as opposed to a 9 during start-up.  I did expect some side effects with the increase but did not think they would last this long.  

I had a phone call with my psychiatrist yesterday and she told me if the increased anxiety and appetite problems do not start to improve by tomorrow then to drop my dosage back down to 10 mg, and that i may just be sensitive to SSRIs. 

Do you all think that it is too soon for the increased dosage to settle into my system?  Should I try and wait to the 2 week mark?  I would hate to quit the 15 mg now if relief is just right around the corner.  Any insight or sharing of your experiences would be greatly appreciated.  I just want to feel normal again!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Kyle26604,

I have been told it takes 8 weeks to fully feel the effects of a dose change. When I started taking Lex I was terrified so I started as low as possible. I took 2.5 for 10 days, then 5mg, then 10. I stayed at 10mg for 8 weeks before increasing to 15 mg. I have been on a 15 mg dose for 18 weeks and am really glad that I gave it the time to fully take hold. 

My suggestion is to stay at the 15 mg dose for at least 8 weeks before making a change. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Lauri. I do understand that it can take up to 8 weeks to start to feel the positive effects of the medication, but could it take that long to potentially still feel the negative side effects?  How long did you feel side effects following a dosage change?
    • Posted

My side effects only lasted 2 weeks, tops! I took a very small dose, .125 mg of Clonazepam to get through.
    • Posted

Kyle26604,

I should add that I took the clonazepam every 12 hours for the first few days after I increased my dose and then maybe once a day for a couple of more days. It was so worth it! Hang in there. I remember thinking I would NEVER feel normal again, and here I am normal! 

• Posted

Hi Lauri, What did you have? Generallized anxiety or dippression? I have an intrusive thought that makes me stress, I had started escitalopram since February but stayed to each dose from 5 to 20 just 8 days each. You understand the side effects from 10 to 15 and 20 were terrible. So I did not time to my self to see (if there are for me) the benefits of this med. I heard that it takes 4 -6 weeks to feeling the serenity, becaused i need serenity. Did you ever feel serenity from this med, without taking benzo?

So I saw no serenity but I had a lot of energy to tell you the truth and I decided to gradually reduce it and ended. 

For one month I was about ok, I have still ok this intrusive thought that makes me stress but I had also possitive thinking.

Unfortunately now, I am feeling very stressed again, I have a lost of stress when talking to people generelly, and find no serenity, only when I am alone.

The point is that I have to make 2 travels. One alone and feel very unsecure. So I decide to start again to give a second change for 5 mg and stay10 days on it before to pass to 10mg and with the help of a benzo, I can not find my doctor these days...he is on vacation, but I would like to hear your story to take stenght...thank you! be well!

• Posted

I started taking Lexapro for GAD, Panic, and agoraphobia. My anxiety caused me to fear a lot of things that didn’t used to bother me (Agoraphobia).  I feel sooooo much better than I have in the past year.  I am still working on exposure therapy to help with the Agoraphobia. 

I have been talking to my Dr. about increasing my dose to 20 mg but he wants me to wait. 

Hope that helps. 

• Posted

I agree with waiting at least 8 weeks until changing doses; I've heard of it even taking 3 months for some people to level out again after a change in doses.

?Although side effects usually start to lessen at the 2 week mark, they can sometimes last longer. When I started Citalopram 5 years ago, it took 2 1/2 months (!!) for my side effects to go away. It just varies so much from person to person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.