Bumps/pustules on scalp!

Posted , 7 users are following.

In the past 1-2 years, I have developed itchy, red bumps all over my scalp. Some look like red bumps, some are pustules.

I've been to the doctor 3 times for it, and they have told me that I have folliculitis of the scalp. One time I was prescribed mupirocin ointment, and another I was prescriped a 10-day cycle of cephalexin. Both treatments were successful in getting rid of the bumps, but they quickly returned once the treatment was finished. The third time I was prescribed a 4-week cycle of doxycycline, which initially got rid of the bumps, but towards the last 1-1.5 weeks, the bumps slowly appeared. 

Now that I'm done the antibiotics, the pustules are back, and it seems like they're worse than ever. I'm becoming very desperate for a more curable approach to the problem as it is very itchy, unappealing and embarrassing. Help!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hate to tell you this but I've been dealing with this for 20 years now. Was on Minocycline for years. Now a topical antibiotic. Can't win.

• Posted

Hey 

Use selsun blue Gold and apply undiluted for a about 5 min on the spot and clean them with rubbing alcohol. And try to vacuum your head( remove excess heat). I know the last part was weird but it will work. And apply coconut oil to your belly bottom. And reduce stress and meat. That will cure you. Trust me I had similar for years. Now having them Under control.

Never take antibiotic's, they won't help you.

All the best. Stress and red meats are an important factor.

• Posted

I've had this problem for about 30 years now, and have tried Selsun Blue shampoo, TersaTar and other tar based shampoos, and nothing helped, until 2 years ago when a dermatologist recommended that I use Sebcur shampoo. I use the kind without the tar in it. It doesn't smell as bad as the tar based shampoos and doesn't seem to be as harsh on hair. I use it 2 times a week, leaving it on my scalp for 2 to 3 minutes before rinsing it out. It has really cleared my scalp up. I do find, though, that some foods seem to trigger the skin sensitivity, so I still have to be careful with eating anything that I know can trigger an outbreak, but at least it's mostly kept in check with the Sebcur shampoo.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

You can check out Earth Clinic online. Some people find relief through more natural means though your mileage may vary with each treatment you use. I'm hoping better topical probiotics come onto the market to combat the issue and restore the skin to a healthier state, because this condition is due to an overgrowth of bad bacteria. Every time we use antibiotics we wipe out the bad and the good. Once off antibiotics, the bad bacteria regains it's foothold again, and more easily so because we've wiped out the good bacteria as well, and the cycle continues.

• Posted

Hello,

I’ve had large, painful scalp bumps  like you described for over 10 years.  I have spent so many hours reviewing boards looking for a cure.  Mine were also cleared up with antibiotics but returned soon after the cycle ended.

After trying so many things for so many years, I stumbled across a forum where someone recommended Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength.  After spending hundreds of dollars looking for relief, this $8 bottle of shampoo has changed my life.  I use it every day and my scalp is the best it has been in 10 years.  It used to be that when my scalp would clear, I could still feel tingles.  That sensation is also gone.  I’ve had no new breakouts for a whole month.  

It’s worth a try for $8.  Best of luck to you. 

• Posted

I battled scalp folliculitis for more than 6 years. came across a solution that has worked for me after spending a lot of money treating it. All you need to buy from the pharmacy is Dalacin C 300mg . 4 capsules and surgical spirit 50ml. empty content of the capsules in to the surgical spirit bottle and shake well before every use.

apply to the affected area and rub it in lightly at night before bed.

It should clear in a week. FYI my scalp is clear 2 year now.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.