Bunion and hammer toe surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

On Nov. 4, 2014 I had bunion surgery, with the 2nd toe a hammer toe and a release on the third toe.  Not sure of the proper medical name for the procedure I had but the second toe was shortened and pinned.  The third toe also had a pin.  I have 3 plates and 13 screws on the big toe and second toe metatarsal.  The pins were removed at 3 weeks.  I am told I will keep the rest of the hardware unless it bothers me.  The big toe and second toe are doing great.  At nine weeks I went into a real shoe.  Well that was a loose soft tennis shoe.  The third toe sort of hangs down and is very sore where it attaches at the foot. That toe has actually been the most painful of the three.   My second toe is a little higher than the other toes.  So my Dr. told me to press down on it and rub my scar to break up the scar tissue so that toe would lay down better.   I am still soaking  in warm epsom salts water and icing it 2 times a day.  Has anyone had this problem with their third toe.  I am tempted to put my boot back on to be able to walk without this toe hurting. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Haven't had that problem with your bird for but my second toe where had hammer toe correction sticks up. Good advice about massaging the scar tissue. I had also see. Some advice about massaging under the toe so have been doing that. Didn't seem to be so much of a problem in the first few weeks post surgical shoe but irritating a bit now
    • Posted

Thanks Karen.  I think time is what it will take.  The massaging seems to be helping mine to lay down a little better.
    • Posted

Hi karen,

my second toe doesn't lie flat either and it is now irritating me too because the tip of it is lower than the other toes and I think that when the time comes for me to go in to a regular shoe, it could blister etc.

I'm going for my Xrays tomorrow so I will see what he says.

• Posted

I also had 2nd toe tendon release on my hammer toe but the toe didn't

lie flat my surgeon also said to massage the toe and try to release it that way, l'm 14 weeks post op now and it still doesn't lie flat.

• Posted

Thanks Misskh.  The massaging seems to be helping mine but it still isn't flat and it may never be completely flat but I think time will tell.  As long as it doesn't rub my shoe I guess it doesn't matter. 

• Posted

Same here really, I'm not looking for perfect feet, although would be nice, just pain free as I do alot of walking.
    • Posted

I am not looking for perfect or pretty feet either.  I haven't had either for years.  But pain free will be great.  I am very active, too.  If I can get this darn 3rd toe to cooperate  I will be cruising.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.