Bunion and hammer toe surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

So 4 weeks later I've lost the little disc on one in and (disgusting though it may sound but utterly rewarding) have slowly peeled off about 8 inches of dead dried skin on sole/between toes) !!! There IS something to do in All those weeks of boringly sitting with foot up!!! 😂😂

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am new to the blog! I joined it as am due to have bunion surgery in 3days scared as hell!!

How was you after surgery & can you walk? Also what is the pain like!???hope you are doing well 🙂

• Posted

Sore for first few days but after that absolutely fine. They'll give you ibuprofen and paracetamol to last couple of weeks but hardly needed them. Just rest with foot propped up as much as poss first two weeks

• Posted

Thank you! How soon after could you walk? As I have to do school run 😭 & Mother things as usual!! Am So worried as it's in 3days! Also am worried of the general anaesthetic??

• Posted

Hi Claire. I had a bunion and two hammer toes (pins in) fixed. I'd say write off the first three days, mostly in bed , I could walk for short spurts after that but my foot did swell a wee bit and went a bit hot/red til I propped up for an hour again. can't imagine you'll manage school run (more like crawl) for at least 3 weeks and of course no driving for at least 6 weeks after op. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. Us Scots are a hardy lot 😀

• Posted

General anaesthetic makes you feel a bit sick for first day ( I was sick twice, once 2 hrs after op then again just before partner picked me up) but fine after 24 hrs
    • Posted

Was you nervous before the surgery?? I am so scared!! Am 26 & not had surgery since I was 8 😔

• Posted

Not a bit. I'm now 62, had my son at age 38 by caesarean (and single parent) breast reduction at 50 and lower facelift 2 years ago!!!! It's worth putting up with a few weeks of discomfort for any op when you see the glorious results 😜😜 Honestly you'll be in good hands and all the staff are lovely, i.e. consultant/anaesthetist/nurses they'll put you at your ease x

• Posted

Wow You've had a fair few surgeries then!

Am just petrified of getting the anaesthetic & also my feet are hard on the skin due to working 12hr shifts on my feet running around, so don't want to be told I can't have the surgery on the day!!

• Posted

oh dear I hope they don't. I've seen operations being cancelled on news down south but we seem to have a better system north of the border, mind you I did have to wait almost a year for the op. Good luck and let me know how you are doing after the op 😘

• Posted

Am living in Hull so will be done at castle hill hospital the main one! I hope to go it doesn't get cancelled too!! Will keep you updated thanks for talking to me about it, really helps!

• Posted

Hi Claire

Been thinking about you the last couple of days and wonder how you got on. How was the anaesthetic?. Are you in pain I wasn't not as bad as you thought? Cheers. Meg

• Posted

Hi meg!

Thank you for the reply!

I had my surgery Thursday 5pm & I stayed in overnight with a lot of numbness for the 1st 24hours I had anaesthetic & local in the foot, I came home yesterday 3pm & I have been in so much pain last night so had to double up on codeine 30mg so taking 2 every 5hrs then paracetamol every 6hrs.

I can walk to toilet when needed but I get a horrible pressure in the foot like blood rushing. Also keep getting sharp pains on the top of the foot were the bunion was! I am keeping my leg elevated above heart! Drinking plenty of fluids and having a fair amount of vitamin c to help the healing! Did u get all the same pains??

• Posted

Hi Claire

Ouch ouch !! No I had different pains as I had pins through two of my two toes as well as the bunion, the first night I felt no pain probably because the anaesthetic was still in my foot but the second night it was bloody sore felt like hot needles were being pushed into my toes. After that I've not really had terrible pain just swelling and a little bit of discomfort esp cause I'm walking to bus stop (10 mins) to go to work However appt with hospital on Monday and I'm really hoping they take pins out and I can get rid of this big cumbersome shoe !!! How are you coping with the kids?

• Posted

Oh you had 2 toes done? Ouch!!! How long is it since your surgery?

My foot still throbs! Am so scared of looking at my foot when they remove bandages 😭

I can't wait for this to be all over with!! I have to take fairly steps around the house but am scared of keeping up for 5mins!

• Posted

Had surgery 20 Feb seems like an age ago! I know what you mean about getting bandages off looks disgusting (but then feet usually do!) a little nippy when nurse cut stitches but not too bad. Just keep taking max painkillers esp as you only had op a couple days ago. I've now got a Come Dine with me habit at 5pm every day problem as that's when I rest my foot 😂😂. Keep resting but don't walk around too much for at least two weeks. It's certainly boring as hell !

• Posted

Come dine with me lol! Think I could give that a try! How long was it until your rushing throbbing sensation eased Of? I've just walked to toilet and back & it is hurting so I've got my leg right up the wall while laid on sofa!!

• Posted

Not really throbbing just a bit red and swollen pretty much anytime I over do the walking or hobbling around house, even now 5 weeks later. Really try not to do much but lie with feet up this weekend then slow move around a bit at a time next week. Have you got the big shoe?
    • Posted

Am all bandages up & I do have the shoe for when I need to move around! My heel feels numb! I am dreading looking at it after the bandages come of! I just hope this pain eases as it gets worse in the evening 😭 it's good to talk to others in the same boat!

• Posted

Hi meg! Did you get sent home with the self injections for your belly to reduce clots?
    • Posted

Morning Claire

Oh dear sounds awful. No injections for me just sent home with paracetamol and ibuprofen. How were things overnight?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.