Bunion and hammer toe surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I'm due to go into hospital for a bunion and hammer toe removal next week, as this is my first ever operation to say I'm nervous is an understatement!! 😧, I've heard the pain is horrendous after, any advice would be greatly appreciated, ie when can walk around the house, is the pain unbearable? I have two young children aged 9 and 11 will I be able to sit down stairs with them during the day or will I be confined to my bedroom?? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I've had different surgeries on each foot. the recovery for each was,,totally different. it ranged from non weight bearing to weight bearing on the same day of surgery.

The pain is not horrific if you do as you are told in the first two weeks. swelling is the enemy. so first two weeks keep the foot up as much as possible.I twas told kettle and loo only.

I went upstairs on my hands and knees and came down on my bum. but I have a downstairs loo.

Listen to the doctor and follow instructions, priority is get organised before it's done. You can't drive while in pot or

wearing a boot.

• Posted

Hi Thankyou for the advice I've been told its loo and kettle also for me, I'm only going to do what my body allows me to do and fingers crossed recovery will be bearable 🤞

• Posted

hi! i had a bunion and hammertoe/shortening done on both very recently and these are my tips:

get a babysitter or significant other to help out the first week as that will be the worst. i was confined to my bed with pain.

buy multiple ice packs so when you are cycling them out every other 20minutes you arent without a cold one

any painkillers they give you are important to take because once that nerve block goes, you will be uncomfortable.

get colase as you will become constipated while taking the meds and believe me, pain in your foot and gas pains arent fun.

i was up and moving without pain by the end of the first week. i had a scooter that was a god send and support from family!

GOODLUCK!

• Posted

Hi thankyou so much for the advice I feel better knowing that I could be up and about (slowly) after the first week, I was thinking I'd be off my feet for the whole summer holidays!! although I know I wont be walking a great deal as long as I can get around the house that's fine with me, and also thanks for the colase tip!! at what point was you able to wear shoes again??

• Posted

i was able to wear shoes at around 2 months! but be prepared to buy wide or extra wide while your foots swelling goes down! oofoo sandals and brooks sneakers were the best! im on my second surgery post 2 1/2months now and i can walk fine! no running until the three months mark though, but my PT is working on getting me closer to the last week of this month!

• Posted

The first 2 days might be hard then u start moving around. a bit... I used a walker too..cuz my hands r too sore to use crutches...the scooter helped alot..(just dont take corners fast..cuz I have tipped) ...I sat on my bottom to go up and down the stairs...cuz I have fallen down the stairs before...when u feel better..u can check out you tube for sit down workouts

take care

Be Brave & positive

• Posted

thankyou for the advice its greatly appreciated, tbh I've had my bunion for over 20 years and I've never had any pain from it, if it wasnt for the hammer toe I wouldn't have the op but hey ho needs must now!!

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.