Bunion and toe fusion surgery, what can I do to prep?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya all.

I'm having my right foot bunion and big toe fusion done on just under 2 weeks. Will I need to wear the boot over night, what clothes are easiest to wear during day, any advice that you peeps can give would be great.

Many thanks

Clara

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Clara, I had both feet done and both big and second toes fused several years ago.  My doctor had me wear the boots day and night, but your doctor may have other instructions.  Wear loose clothes that you can get over the boot.
  • Posted

Hi Clara, I had my right foot done 7 years ago and left foot (1st mtp joint fusion + hammertoe) 9 weeks ago. The surgeon told me to wear the boot day and night for 6 weeks. I complied for the first few days and it was pretty uncomfortable and awkward. I started to take my boot off more and more......I just made sure my foot was protected by pillows . Also, I wished I'd had a 'cast protector' to put over my boot when bathing. I would recommend buying one before the surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.