Bunion & Hammertoe Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

It has been 4 weeks since my surgery.  I had both my feet done at once.  Double bunion (inside & outside of feet) & two hammer toes on my right foot.  I am having a lot of pain in the evenings.  It feels like needles in both my feet.  I'm having a very hard time sleeping.  I am only off work for 4 more weeks and worried that I won't be able to go back to my job as a letter carrier.  Can anyone tell me if this is normal healing and how long before the needle feeling goes away? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth, your surgeon should have informed you better. A normal bilateral bunion operation can take month before the feet are back in normal shoes. Having the tailor bunion done as well as Hammer toes will prolong the recovery time quite a bit. Furthermore the pain and discomfort will be much more. You should have been made aware of this and maybe should have been advised to have all this done in 2 stages or at least had an open discussion on how long all this will take. I do feel sorry for you but you have to be patient now and get through this. It will take quite a while but hopefully the outcome will have been worth it. Having to say though, a lot of patients do not realise the extent of a bunion surgery. It does take time, as even when not fully weight baring, you still use the feet. Disappointed that your surgeon did not inform you better, it is his job and not that of the nurses. Wishing you a hopeful speedy recovery
  • Posted

I had very painful burning nerve pain that lasted a good 9 weeks. Every night I woukd cry myself to sleep. Thankfully, I am now 10.5 weeks and can finally say my nerve pain is 90% gone. It us beneficial to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, lay off of sugar and alcohol, and take high quality supplements. B vitamins are especially important. In addition to supplements I also started getting vitamin b complex injections, which I believe really helped my nerves heal.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Beth, there are a number of different types of bunion surgeries & I'm not sure what kind you had. Mine was very involved (lapidus & metatarsal shortening). I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks & then had to use crutches with a boot for 3 more weeks. Then physical therapy - I'm still not walking well months later. I'm hoping yours was not such a major surgery but not sure. I'd say to check back with your surgeon. Good luck on your continued recovery. By the way, I had one foot done & tgem the other 3 months later. Awful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.