Bunion op 1 week in

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I'm just coming to the end of my first week after my bunion surgery, I'm still wearing my "boot", absolutely no pain, I was expecting the worst. I have attempted to heel walk, not happening, I can move my toes but get a twanging sensation quickly followed by foot in a food blender type pain. I want to take the boot off, concerned about putting it back on again, any advice would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am 2weeks post op and the my doctor said I can take my boot off to move my joint where I have my screws(where they removed my bunion) the secret to putting it back on correctly is to bend  your knee and make sure your heel is touching the bottom of the boot and do the straps on your foot first before you straighten your leg out didn't know this the first time I took it off and it cause me s lot of pain because my  foot would slip in it..but I also have no pain just some burning sensations mostly at night but not too bad wish you a speedy  recovery
    • Posted

Thx, Have you started to heel walk yet, I've been told the 3rd week is so much better. I can move my toes slightly, and my foot back wards and forwards as much as possible, I get the feeling the "boot is holding it all in, and if I remove it it will hurt, I maybe just being a wimp. Ice packs on it all the time and always raised above my heart.

I still have a massive bandage on it, and don't have to see the doctor until 12th November, 7 weeks away, I was hoping to be driving by then!

• Posted

I am still on the boot cant walk on heel until my 6th week I got 4 more weeks but I had a lil more done with  the bunion I had to shift my big  toe bones over also  I'm.hoping to get a knee scooter also soon 
    • Posted

I have the opposite problem, I have been told I can't walk without crutches, not even heel walk for 6 weeks. today is day 11 and I have to admit I have heel walked in my  bootie, because otherwise I would need 24 hour care! you can't get a cup of tea or anything to eat holding 2 crutches! I feel I could walk just in my boot, even on my whole foot its really hard not to. I hope I'm nt messing anything up but its either heel walk or die  of thirst. sad
  • Posted

Great to have some guys that have just had surgery i Looking forward to hearing days post op bunion removed and bones pined back to correct position 14 stiches i am in France so am intrested in other peaples experience in different countries

I had my surgery by epidural and a nerve block in for 3 days till pain was under

control by oral meds now back at home no big bandage just a dressing on my

stiches a boot\shoe which is basically a heel which keeps my foot elevated

Told not to walk on it for a month then heel walk the next month and 3rd beginning to start walking

crutches difficult but hopei will get better on them

Look forward to hearing from you all:-):-):-)

• Posted

Sorry did not type out right!! Should say 4 days post op!!
    • Posted

I have tried to out a bit of pressure on it, and all my weight on the heel, doesn't hurt, bit uncomfortable, can wiggle my toes, get a bit of a twanging sensation. Hope all goes well with every one, I'm calling the hospital now to fibd out if I cab take my boot off.
  • Posted

I wore my boot for 6 weeks after having a bunionectomy operation eight years ago, only removing it before doing to bed each night. I have since had a Scarf and Akin Osteotomy operation done last June with me having to wear a weightbearing boot for six weeks, even to bed. It was only taken off to shower once the stitches were removed. Best not putting any pressure on your foot at all until the boot is removed after six weeks with you being able to walk on your swollen foot. I'm wearing Homy-Ped shoes which have velcro strapping which helps. Best of luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Many thanks, I'm starting to heel walk everywhere now, 9 days in, don't want to push too hard tho as was reminded this evening that it will hurt if I do.

Thanks for your advice and hope alls good

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.