bunion op

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am 6 and a half weeks post op,i have the shoe and bandage off now.its  a bit painful and keep wriggleing my toes because they have had pins on 2 of my toes.any advice what i do now 2 get on the mend,went 4 a walk 2 day and going 2 go back 2 gym 4 light exercises.i am going 2 go 4 a swim as well soon.any advice from my bunionless friends would be very grateful.hope bob and every1 else is on the mend as well.take care.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary , pleased to hear you are getting on ok , I'm still off sick , I had my op 26th March , today I am totally pain free it feels so good , I have been going to physio and she gave me light exercises to do , but as soon as I took my dog for a walk fro about 40 mins I was in pain , but touch wood I'm hoping it's improved , think I will be returning to work on 21st July , I had no idea it would take so long for recovery , I must admit I won't be rushing to have my other foot done , I have used all my sick entitlement on the first one ! 

All I can say is if your foot starts aching just elevate and rest , I think I have learnt the hard way as I hate sitting about , I get bored to easily , 

take care and good luck 

• Posted

thanks happyface im the same wont be rushing back 2 get the other 1 done.i work in a school so i will have the summer holidays 2 recover.i new it would be a slow recovery but i thought after i got the shoe off i would be better than what i am.i 4got that i have been walking on my heal  for 6 weeks and the back of my legs would be sore again.i had pins on 2 of my toes so there would be no movement in them.need 2 be patient lol.im doing housework now and going 4 walks and i am thankful 4 that.there is people on this forum a lot worse so im counting my blessings.glad ur on the mend and good luck when u go back 2 work.take care.

• Posted

Mary, swimming is good, take your time getting in and out the pool, that is the hardest part, dont do too much at first, I only done 20 min the first time, and just walked about a bit which really feels weird, (I probably looked weird to others).  Watch you dont slip.
    • Posted

thanks joan,i was out on friday and my friends sister is a phsio.thats what she told me 2 do.so im going 2 go this week.thanks 4 the advice,this forum has been so helpful,hope ur recovering well.take care.

• Posted

Mary, as soon as was able to get back in my sneaker I started on the stationary bike for 20 minutes.I am an hour a day cardio guy normally on the eliptical. It took me about a week or so before I was back to my hour. Usually did 20 minutes on bike and 20 on eliptical alternating days. I was also able to get back to light calf raises and leg presses. Let your foot dictate the weight. Swim would be an excellent rehab assignment. I'm a bit envious since I am biting at the bit to get it going again. No where close after 5 weeks this time around. Good luck.
    • Posted

thanks bob,u have been through the mill my heart goes out 2 u,im glad u have great support around u.hope ur mum is o.k.i have been following the forum faithfully and a lot of good advice.i know we heal differently but a lot of tips that i have used so thank u every1 4 ben there.u take it easy bob and soon u will be back 2 pain free.its been a long road 4 u but there is light at the end of the tunnel.take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.