Bunion op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am going to have a bunion op in a few months and have told work I will be off work for 2-3 weeks. I have suggested I might be able to work from home after (which went down like a tonne of bricks), as I wont get paid after 3 weeks. My job is desk based. Do you think I would be able to return to work after 3 weeks?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

What type of surgery?  There are many types. 

Do you have disability insurance?

Diana

• Posted

First appointment he said would fuse toe as my joints are hyper mobile. Since then my second toe is going over. He says it is large bunion. I will have to look at the papers. I didn't know about disability insurance. Is that on any other like house etc.

• Posted

I did not have a  bunion however I did have my big toe fused. Actually both of them done.  The one I had done two years ago went smooth as silk...  The one I just had this past January was horrible.  It depends on your body and how it heals I guess.  If your surgery and healing goes anything like my first one I would say yes you can go back to work in three weeks as long as you are able to elevate your foot and ice when needed.  If it goes anything like my second surgery you’re going to be off a lot longer! I’m going on 2 months now and just starting to walk and feel a bit more normal on it.  Short term disability is what you should look into . Aflac or if they offer through your work.  It pays you a certain percentage when you are not able to work three or less months .  Long-term disability is three or more months that you will be off of work.  If you’re only allowed to be off for two or three weeks I would definitely look into it 
    • Posted

Thanks Sheila.I think it is a u.s Co but I am UK. It's a lottery I think from what I am reading about how bad pain can be. Some seem to sail through with no problem.

• Posted

I was able to return to work for one day a week and a half after surgery. I’m the only one that does my job (book work  mostly desk job) so I didn’t have much choice. Luckily I can do quite a bit from home. Don’t over do it! Once I was at work, I tried to do sooo much to catch up, and I think I had my adrenaline going, but once I started to go, it was a fast, painful, long and regretful experience! I’d say I should have only stayed no more than 4 hours, because by the time I got home, I was a wreck and in awful pain which kept me up the entire night. Then I went back on Tuesday, and lasted only 3 hours before I caved. By the time my husband came to get me, I was a sobbing mess. I put a box of ream paper under my desk and held up my foot on that. It was helpful the first day, but that second day nothing helped. I’m lucky enough to have an ice machine that I can wrap around my foot, and that has been my lifesaver for this entire time. My mom got it from the hospital when she broke her shoulder. This last week (my week 3) I was smart and when I went in on Monday, I had lined up most of what I could from home and made myself leave after 5 hours. Then on Tuesday my husband brought in the ice machine and put it under my desk, and that was beyond helpful and I lasted 6 hours. 

Most doctors should offer to provide you with a note as to how long you should be off. Personally, I probably shouldn’t have gone in that first Monday,  because I felt like I had backtracked then and it took days and days before I felt as good as I had on that Sunday before work :-( but we are all so different. Some have no issues at all, but it seems most wait at least several weeks before going back. 

Will you you have a knee scooter? it all depends on if you are weight bearing as well. But listen to your body, and ice and elevation are key. 

I know it’s so stressful not being paid for the time off. I took a weeks vacation and then because I get paid hourly, I’m not making what I normally make. 

I hope it all goes smooth for you! Read the suggestions from others on here on what to do prior, getting supplies ready, etc. this group was the most helpful for me, and I’m thankful I found it. I got pretty emotional and lonely (still do) and was relieved to see that others had the same issues as me. :-) it’s hard to explain the pain and other issues to someone who hasn’t had it done sometimes. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have tried to read the paperwork but as like most doctors the writing is unreadable .I am going for a pre op next week so they can tell me then. I am rather worried about the pain because my mum had ops 30 yrs ago and I still remember how much pain she was in. I work with people at the moment who are not particularly friendly and I know I am not going to get any support from them when I do return to work. In fact I think they will use it against me.
    • Posted

I get it, trust me! My boss is very demanding. And I remember the work drama well. Almost like being back in high school! 

i think the pain mgmt has many more options now. Mainly for me was ibuprofen, ice and elevate it non stop. Or it takes some effort to try and catch up if you slack off on doing those. 

One thing I really liked that I never had was before surgery the did a nerve block. That lasted 2 days. Maybe ask about that? I had never heard of it. 

• Posted

I have the letter now (so its easier to read!). Procedure is Scarf/Akin and lateral release. I don't want to google it!-All worried now

• Posted

Hi there!  I think it really depends on exactly what you need to have done.  I am 9 weeks out having my second foot done.  I was in a splint for two weeks, a plaster cast for 6 weeks and am now in a boot for a month.  There is absolutely no way I could have gone to a job.  After the cast is removed. physical therapy is a lot of effort.  I am having to relearn to walk.  My feet were very bad and I had bones cut, bones shaved and had to have muscles, tendons and ligaments put back in their correct places,  My feet look and feel totally different.  Before surgery, they had gotten so bad that after walking a half hour, I had to sit down I was in so much pain.  After the cast is off and physical therapy begins, it just takes some time for your feet to do what your brain is telling them to.  Hope that helps!  Oh, and I would totally and completely recommend having the surgery!
    • Posted

I just read the replies from the other ladies/  I had the nerve block as well as light anesthesia.  It lasted about a day or so---so awesome.  I had it for both surgeries and it was wonderful!
  • Posted

Hi, I had my op 4 weeks ago tomorrow and I thought I would be a bit better by now. To be honest if you check the NHS guidelines they say, 6 weeks off work, with your feet up.I have had some good days and feel like I'm getting better and then as the internal flesh repairs different pains, pins and needles, screws bedding in etc. You need to put your foot first and if you can work from home do that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.