Bunion op - Jan 2016

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had recent surgery for a bunion 6 weeks ago and although I feel no pain, my big toe is pointing upwards - this does concern me as I can see the swelling starting to go down, but my toe is not laying flat?! Pls can anyone advise if they know why this might be? X

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it dependes which osteotomy they did, If you have screws or a plate to fixate the toe, I would advse to go and see the surgeon who did this. Once the swelling goes down, the toe should be in a great position and not upwards. Best go and see the guy for explanation before worrying yourself sick.
  • Posted

I didn't have this problem; however, my doc had me doing constant "bend down" toe exercises. Not sure if this was only to help with flexibility or if it helped my big toes to lay flat. You may have been doing this along too... and the issue is not related to this at all?!?!
    • Posted

I meant to say too that my surgery was on the long foot bone, close to the ankle. The bone was cut into, twisted back into the big toe socket, then plated and grafted where it had been cut. If your surgery was at the toe, you may have been instructed differently on your healing method.
  • Posted

Hi Kudo

i had double bunion surgery and the big toe on one foot did feel as if it was not lying flat especially on walking.  Once I was out of the splints (at 7 weeks post-op) I was advised to do standing on my toe exercises, which if found very difficult at first, but gradually got easier.  I am now 11 weeks post-op and both my big toes, although still a little stiff, are pointing out and sitting flat on the ground when I walk.  Hopefully this will also be the case with yours a few weeks further down the line.  Each week gets better in my experience.

• Posted

Hi KUDU...great name !

My toes stuck up too...they still look a bit odd 11 weeks after surgery...but they touch the ground now when I walk... its not only the swelling of the toes, but of the ball of the foot. I had akin and scarf procedure,,,have 3 screws and a staple like pin in there somewhere! The toes dont bend as they should..and I think the 6 weeks no weight bearing is the cause1

Hope all goes well..its a patience game Im afraid!

bev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.